AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought cat 6 in bulk. Its inside the box and box has a hole from which i can pul the cable. Is there any easy way to measure how long i am pulling out. If i want to pull 10 feet out is there any easy way to determine when to stop pulling other then old fashion use of measure tape which is not easy because cat 6 cable bends and its not straight?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I bought cat 6 in bulk. Its inside the box and box has a hole from which i can pul the cable. Is there any easy way to measure how long i am pulling out. If i want to pull 10 feet out is there any easy way to determine when to stop pulling other then old fashion use of measure tape which is not easy because cat 6 cable bends and its not straight?
Look at the wire. There are mostly likely foot markers (numbers) every foot or perhaps every three feet. You'll see a lot of writing on the jacket for the model/specs - look for a three digit number that changes! :D

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Or I'll measure out 10 feet on the ground. Then pull the wire to that mark. It may not be exactly 10 feet but it's close. If it's all in wall then it really dosn't have to be exact. As long as it's not to short! Better to be long then short. (heh that's what she said!)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or I'll measure out 10 feet on the ground. Then pull the wire to that mark. It may not be exactly 10 feet but it's close. If it's all in wall then it really dosn't have to be exact. As long as it's not to short! Better to be long then short. (heh that's what she said!)
lol.....fair enough....:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
general rules of pulling wire: grab it in one hand and stretch it across your chest until your other hand is fully outstretched (like your body is a "T"). Unless you are really tall, this is usually around the 5 foot mark, probably slightly more. Pull out as many outstretched arm lengths as you need in increments of 5.

The extra length helps with possible tears of the jacket when pulling it through the wall/conduit by taping a drag string to the folded over end. Cat6 jacket is flimsy and tears pretty easy. When you go to land the connectors, it's also nice to have an extra foot hanging out of the wall that you can easily stuff back in afterwards, too.

When you're done pulling a section, mark the box with the remaining length of wire left in the upper left corner of the box. Use the poke hole in the upper right corner to stuff the pulling end so it doesn't get lost back in the box.

Note: If pulling multiple lengths at a time, number both ends of each before pulling through the wall so you don't have to test afterwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts