AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

A friend of mine and I recently started a project to build some flat panel speakers and got results beyond our expectations from the most basic setup (2 wood floor planks, 2 32mm 40w exciters, some cables and connectors). We got insanely clear mids and highs, but lack on bass at the moment.

What we want to do is explore positioning, other materials, shaping, and so on.

Is there any measuring equipment you'd recommend for a good price since this is just for fun/curiosity? I think we need at least a decibel meter and some way of monitoring frequency response.

Cheers!

·
Registered
11,475 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the feedback :)

The CSL UMIK-1 is a bit over budget for the project (it would end up being more expensive then the speakers xD), but I found other measurement mics such as the Behringer ECM8000.

I do have already a RØDE NT-USB mic, but I guess that it's not optimal for measuring since it's not specifically a measurement mic? (I never thought decent quality mics would do any sound coloring though)

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
If you just want to mess around and don't care if the measurements are super accurate you can use REW which is free, and then use the internal microphone on your laptop. It will be fairly accurate up until about 100hz, and from there it will be maybe within +/- 5db across the range. But good enough for basic fun experiments.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
I do have already a RØDE NT-USB mic, but I guess that it's not optimal for measuring
Without a professional calibration file, any mic is near-useless.

If there is an online review that posts the response, then you could create your own cal file but it will still be off by a few db, especially at the extremely low and extremely high frequencies. (Say 13khz.)

Not only that, without the sensitivity figure absolute-SPL calculations cannot be obtained. You could of course buy an external SPL meter though and calibrate yours to that at 1khz. https://www.parts-express.com/galaxy-audio-check-mate-cm-130-spl-meter--245-262

There is almost no limit to how fancy one can get.
B&W uses like a $50,000 laser interferometer, and also owns a spatial mic rig and an anechoic chamber, they also have an oven that grows and shapes diamond drivers; and HK has a rig that moves the speakers around on robotic arms. Make their own semiconductors. Basically: a full Dexters lab.
We mere mortals can't play with the big-boys...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts