AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
In principle it would be more accurate to have the graphics card in 0-255 and the software on 16-235, but that’s more difficult to do.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what Pgenerator set to RGB full, and ZRO patchscale to 16-235 is doing. Scaling is set by the software, passed unmolested by the generator on to the TV, which is set to receive 16-235 (limited).

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what Pgenerator set to RGB full, and ZRO patchscale to 16-235 is doing. Scaling is set by the software, passed unmolested by the generator on to the TV, which is set to receive 16-235 (limited).
The “difficulty” I was referring to only applies to the PC graphics card, which will automatically select 16-235 based on the display EDID (unless overridden).
External signal generators can of course be set to RGB full if you choose to.
As mentioned in the first post, the guide is written based on the internal pattern generator.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Simply set gpu to RGB FULL.
ZRO to limited
TV to limted.
In CSV files use 0-255 range.
This is the best way.
It’s not enough to just “set” the GPU to RGB Full; you also need to verify it is actually running in RGB Full. On many systems (depending on the GPU) the EDID of the display device will override the GPU setting; i.e., the GPU would automatically switch to RGB Limited when it sees that the display itself is RGB Limited.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but when I take my measurements I can't read the numbers. Is there a way to fix this or will adjusting by looking at the bars be fine. IMG_8867.JPG

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but when I take my measurements I can't read the numbers. Is there a way to fix this or will adjusting by looking at the bars be fine. View attachment 3076686
You should ask in the ZRO thread.
Looks like it’s a font scaling issue. Did you set the Windows scaling to 150% or 200%?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
It is a known issue in the latest ZRO release.
We 'fixed' the internal TPG window no responding to size changes correctly when Scaling was above 100%.
It inadvertently caused the layout issue you are now seeing.
It will be fixed.

As Dominic says, bugs are best reported via our forum, as we don't check here - or other forums - that often:

Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
Two quick questions:

HCFR gives you a summary of sweeps with average gamma, and dE. Is this same information in ZRO anywhere?

In HCFR the BT.1886 curve looks like the BT.1886 curve. In ZRO it seems it's the same curve used for 2.2 or 2.4 gamma. I guess that's expected, and as long as the points track along the curve, I assume it's accurate when using ZRO?

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
In HCFR the BT.1886 curve looks like the BT.1886 curve. In ZRO it seems it's the same curve used for 2.2 or 2.4 gamma. I guess that's expected, and as long as the points track along the curve, I assume it's accurate when using ZRO?
The reason is HCFR displays the gamma values in the graph, so the graph looks different for gamma 2.2, 2.4, or BT.1886.
ZRO, on the other hand, displays DifGamma (the difference between the measurements and the reference values), so the graph will always look like a flat horizontal line when the two match.
I have been requesting the gamma curve in LightSpace/ColourSpace literally for years, but could not convince Steve that it’s a useful curve.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The EOTF Curve show the actual EOTF curve accurately, be that Power Law, BT1886, PQ, HLG...

The DIF EOTF shows the difference between the target EOTF and the measured EOTF, which is far more useful.

Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
The EOTF Curve show the actual EOTF curve accurately, be that Power Law, BT1886, PQ, HLG...

The DIF EOTF shows the difference between the target EOTF and the measured EOTF, which is far more useful.

Steve
This makes sense.

Is there a readout of the average gamma level and dE for all points when doing gray scale sweeps? I see there is an "average" heading in the measure box, but haven't seen any data populated there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It’s not enough to just “set” the GPU to RGB Full; you also need to verify it is actually running in RGB Full. On many systems (depending on the GPU) the EDID of the display device will override the GPU setting; i.e., the GPU would automatically switch to RGB Limited when it sees that the display itself is RGB Limited.
Yes it need to be verified, but fortunately I don't find a display yet which is override my gpu settings(which is set through Nvidia, amd or intel control center).

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
This makes sense.

Is there a readout of the average gamma level and dE for all points when doing gray scale sweeps? I see there is an "average" heading in the measure box, but haven't seen any data populated there.
You read the average EOTF (gamma) value from the axis.
The centre 'zero' line is the set target EOTF (2.4, 2.2, BT1886, etc..)
You can then easily read the measured EOTF, looking at the Y axis, and see the variation from the target for any given point..

Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
You read the average EOTF (gamma) value from the axis.
The centre 'zero' line is the set target EOTF (2.4, 2.2, BT1886, etc..)
You can then easily read the measured EOTF, looking at the Y axis, and see the variation from the target for any given point..

Steve
Thanks Steve. I assume the Y axis increments relate to the gamma correct?

So .1 would be closer to 2.3 if targeting 2.2. and -.01 would be closer to 2.1.

Does the Grey scale dE graph have an average of all the points?

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
Finally got this installed and my meter working but in this particular step it seemEd to just flash through all the patterns in a fraction of a second and not measure anything so clearly I missed a step but after double checking I don’t know which one I missed.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts