AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how much can EA copy Modern Warfare 2 and get away with it?

Lets be clear, Activision has 2 "war" franchises Call of Duty and Modern Warfare one leaps frogs each year. One Year its Call of Duty the next its Modern Warfare.

EA has a similar strategy one year its Battlefield the next its Medal Of Honor.

So we are close to over saturation and they may burnout the genre. I really can't see another 3rdparty Publisher Devloper wanting to jump in with innovation and fresh ideas vs. Activision and EA, and this is where the gamer suffers our choice is EA or Activision.

Now what troubles me about EA's Medal of Honor is that instead of bringing something new to the table or fresh ideas they just want to copy MW2.

Look at this video right down to the saving hand grab and worse its looks likely they are copying they Multi Arc story line of the Modern Warfare series, in that you play as 2 or 3 characters a Ranger, a CIA Agent, and a Special Forces guy like in MW2.

http://kotaku.com/5492712/medal-of-h...-rehashed-grit

It remains to be seen if they will copy PERKS.

Now all EA has to do in order to woo MW2 fans is simple.

#1. Ad in destructible objects in Multiplayer, Like Door MW2 would be soo much better if door existed like Planting C4 on a wooden door to blow it. Or a claymore.

I am so sick of an RPG hitting a wooden box in MW2 and the wooden box stays perfectly intact.

#2. Add in some freaking Blood. If you have not seen there is no blood in MW2 you can spray the guy with a whole clip theres no blood. in COD4 there was a little blood with head shots. Its gone now in MW2 most likely because Actvision was pushing hard for a T rating.

#3. Be More tactical. But not Rainbow Six. MW2 has jumped over to a much too cartoonish Pain Killer Juggernaut you can kill me type game. All Medal of Honor has to do is be a little more real but not as frustrating and the 100% camping that ruined Rainbow Six.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Interesting topic.

One thing that is clear...what "Medal of Honor" was in the past is not what it's going to be in the future.

EA is going for a present day setting with Afghanistan as the backdrop, and casting characters for the players that would be actually be found in theater.

Brave choice. Hopefully it is done intelligently and not bling-ed out for the kiddies like the core play of MW2.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18309292

So how much can EA copy Modern Warfare 2 and get away with it?

Remember that MoH debuted in 1999, with Call of Duty debuted in 2003. So we could say regardless of what EA does, they were the people who were first copied.

It's an interesting choice for them to move this direction. What's also odd is that they don't seem to be going for that "realistic" graphic styling that CoD has been doing so well.

I'm open for another war game set in modern times, and I'm sure MoH is doing it's best to catch up with the CoD success. I wish them luck, only because if it's a good game then I'll be one of many to enjoy playing the game!

-JR

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Call of Duty "copied" Medal of Honor in the first place. I guess what goes around comes around. If it's that even fair to say, since the original team that did Call of Duty was like 50% from the team that did Medal of Honor... so basically they were just taking their skills/style with them.

Imo, this was kind of a perfect opportunity for the Medal of Honor series to step in and get back to it's roots with a WW1/WW2 game. There aren't really any major WW2 games out right now. We don't need a MW/MW:2 clone.

·
Registered
302 Posts
the more competition, the better this genre of games will get... or at least i hope. who wants to bet that MW3 wont have some of BFBC2's shining additions?

as stated upthread, 'medal of honor' was actuallly first. i'm eager to see what they can do with the modern era.

bring it on! if it sucks, i'll just skip it... but ya never know, they might bring something new/revolutionary to the games... or they might comepletely blow it. either/or.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard /forum/post/18309494

Interesting topic.

One thing that is clear...what "Medal of Honor" was in the past is not what it's going to be in the future.

EA is going for a present day setting with Afghanistan as the backdrop, and casting characters for the players that would be actually be found in theater.

Brave choice. Hopefully it is done intelligently and not bling-ed out for the kiddies like the core play of MW2.

Bling-ed out I like that.

If it is good, copy cat or not it will sell and I will play it.

Now if they would just make age specific lobbies, something like Kiddies, Teens, Young Adults, Adults, and Old Farts, they online gaming would be fair....

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes MoH existed first, But Call of Duty did not copy it feature to feature they brought fresh ideas and superior gameplay. And 60 frame per second action vs 30 frames per second on MoH.

MW2 has had more sucess than all the MoH games combined multiplied by 10 I would guess.

As long as MoH stays in Afghanistan and does a campaign grounded there that would be ok. But its looking like the Special Ops team called Tier 1 will travel to many countries again copying MW2.

And theres room for more military games, but I draw the line in the sand at copying MW2 Perks and Air Support.

What MoH should do is be more gritty and blood like Gears of War, if you get hit with an RPG your are blown to bloody chunks. And a bullets do make you bleed.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Given that both series are splintered from the same originating development team, it is impossible for any sort of "copying" to be going on. That argument is the same as the guys that were whining that Torchlight is ripping off Diablo. The Torchlight guys made Diablo. If they want to iterate on their own product forever, then they get to do that, as they made the original to begin with!

In short, this thread has no merit and is whining for the sake of whining.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/18311639

Given that both series are splintered from the same originating development team, it is impossible for any sort of "copying" to be going on. That argument is the same as the guys that were whining that Torchlight is ripping off Diablo. The Torchlight guys made Diablo. If they want to iterate on their own product forever, then they get to do that, as they made the original to begin with!

In short, this thread has no merit and is whining for the sake of whining.

great points, this is worthless since it is the same guys..

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18309292

#2. Add in some freaking Blood. If you have not seen there is no blood in MW2 you can spray the guy with a whole clip theres no blood. in COD4 there was a little blood with head shots. Its gone now in MW2 most likely because Actvision was pushing hard for a T rating.

I know what you're saying but they do have blood in MW2. In the game winning kill replay there's blood. When you shoot a guy next to a wall he splatters the wall. When you get shot blood clouds your vision.

There is some blood in the game. Maybe not enough to suit your tastes but I'm guessing they are trying not to make it a gorefest and a little more suitable for all ages. I think they did well with the variety of ways the guy dies like spinning in the air or dropping to his knees while grabbing his face or standing straight up rigid and falling back like a tree. Lots of blood and guts is probably better left for another game that centers around that. MW2 went with what would appeal to the most.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket /forum/post/18310014

Remember that MoH debuted in 1999, with Call of Duty debuted in 2003. So we could say regardless of what EA does, they were the people who were first copied.

It's an interesting choice for them to move this direction. What's also odd is that they don't seem to be going for that "realistic" graphic styling that CoD has been doing so well.

I'm open for another war game set in modern times, and I'm sure MoH is doing it's best to catch up with the CoD success. I wish them luck, only because if it's a good game then I'll be one of many to enjoy playing the game!

-JR
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson /forum/post/18310128

Call of Duty "copied" Medal of Honor in the first place. I guess what goes around comes around. If it's that even fair to say, since the original team that did Call of Duty was like 50% from the team that did Medal of Honor... so basically they were just taking their skills/style with them.

Imo, this was kind of a perfect opportunity for the Medal of Honor series to step in and get back to it's roots with a WW1/WW2 game. There aren't really any major WW2 games out right now. We don't need a MW/MW:2 clone.

Like they said MoH franchise came first, no big deal really, its competition and a very good thing. I can't wait to see what they do with the new MoH, they're talking a big game

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
If its better than MW2.. I'll buy it

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
If Deakwan is playing it, I won't be...

I mean yes, I'll buy it.

seriously, who cares about copying?

There is no innovation anymore. Copy this, copy parts of that and call it original.

Last new VG I played as Final Fantasy XIII and that was only for 6 hours, it got boring at 3 hours in. Can I just watch someone play through the bullshyt so that I can sit there and watch the cutscenes? I'd pay $30 for that.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong /forum/post/18316757

Last new VG I played as Final Fantasy XIII and that was only for 6 hours, it got boring at 3 hours in. Can I just watch someone play through the bullshyt so that I can sit there and watch the cutscenes? I'd pay $30 for that.

Or you could do that for free.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DarksydePhilFFXIII

Whether you find Darksydephil funny or annoying is pretty hit and miss.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Just watched the video..

And all I have to say is

I love that they were using my EOTech Holo sight. Do you hear that Kabob. No aimpoint. But EOTech
Im liking this game already!

·
Registered
4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/18317836

Just watched the video..

And all I have to say is

I love that they were using my EOTech Holo sight. Do you hear that Kabob. No aimpoint. But EOTech
Im liking this game already!

if it was a great game they would be using my acog!!!

also i am predicting bodycount will better SP game than both this and COD

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$15 is wayy too much they should have done 2 Free Maps as a THANK YOU to the Fans for giving us 2 BIllioN DOllars!!!!!

and make the other 2 Maps 400 MS Points the 3rd super small map I won't even consider its smaller than small and you will never play it more than once ever.

Mainly also because There WILL be MORE Map Packs particularly a big Map Pack on the 4th of JULY which will be waay better for less or the same money.

Having learned my lesson the HARD way with paying about Tripple for Gears of War 2 MAP PACKS be careful.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts