AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a ReadyNAS or some other RAID based system to store my current VHS and DVD collection. I would also like to be able to store any future recordings on my Motorola DVR from Comcast. I don't currently have a media center PC.

My question is, how are most people getting their source material into their servers? Are you recording shows and ripping DVDs on a media center PC and transferring the resulting files to your server? Do media center PCs allow you to edit and/or copy recordings, or are there protections in place?

My current plan is to transfer recordings to DVD-RWs using a DVDR w/HDD (whether it be archived VHS or future recordings off the Motorola DVR). Then I would rip the DVDs on my laptop and transfer the files to ReadyNAS and access it through a Tvix. Does this make sense, or is there a better way? I'm willing to consider a media center PC, but only if I can edit and copy recordings.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not sure I can help you with your video type questions, as I am an audiophile first. But, if you're looking for great storage you should check out the Drobo from Data Robotics. Much more reasonable than the ReadyNAS.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp.Audiophile /forum/post/12893343

Not sure I can help you with your video type questions, as I am an audiophile first. But, if you're looking for great storage you should check out the Drobo from Data Robotics. Much more reasonable than the ReadyNAS.

I checked out their website - interesting! Although it looks like you can only connect via USB, so I guess it's not a true NAS (correct me if I'm wrong). Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can connect it to a router or they just released a new add-on that will make it true NAS. The DroboShare is what it is called.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts