Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One reason I dislike Fujitsu is that it doesn't come with a media box like

Pioneer. Are there good media boxes that one can buy? I have a fairly

long distance between my components and my TV.

·
23,039 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the Fujitsu 63" comes with a "media box". Does that help? :)

Personally I'd rather not have one. Just another device to get outdated or get in the way of other upgrades.

You can get a prepro or receiver that does component switching (and composite and s-video).

Edit: Either I read wrong or what I read was incorrect. Fujitsu's site doens't mention the media box.

I thought something was strange when I read that there was a media receiver. Now if I can only

remember where I read it..... Sorry to get your hopes up! :D

Edit 2: I just remembered. The lastest Sound & Vision had a short blurb on the 63" Fujitsu

and said it came with a media box. No matter. Mark Rubin is getting one, he'll let us know.

larry

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The scaling elecronics in the Pioneer media boxes (made by Sharp) are actually quite a bit inferior quality to that on the plug-in-cards for the cheaper Pioneer plasma models like the 433CMX and 503CMX, plus you can buy 3rd party cards for more features too. Avoid the media box models!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't heard anyone say to avoid the 50" Pio 1110 because of the media box. That is a model I was seriously considering. Should I avoid it

because of the media box?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
The scaling elecronics in the Pioneer media boxes (made by Sharp) are actually quite a bit inferior quality to that on the plug-in-cards for the cheaper Pioneer plasma models like the 433CMX and 503CMX, plus you can buy 3rd party cards for more features too. Avoid the media box models!
I don't believe the above statement is correct for the current PDP-4340HD and PDP-5040HD.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
No, the statement applies to the 4330 and 5030, not the current models.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Are you saying that the media box electronics has improved in the 4340/5040 models now? I doubt it compares to the Fujitsu AVM scaling or the scaling electronics with motion-adapative-de-interlacing that the Aurora add-on cards for the Pioneer 433CMX/503CMX can use.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You folks who don't like a media box are missing the point.

First, the thing that breaks most ofter are the electronics and the connectors. Why send the whole panel in to fix a connector?

Second, a media box is upgradeable or can be changed out with a newer model for future connection methods.

I like a seperate media box!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There has not been a single media-box upgrade in plasma history, AFAIK.

And there is certainly no evidence older models are getting new boxes.

If someone posts a poll about media box desires in general, I'd be interested in the results. Perhaps there is some there there.

Mark

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The better plasma displays like Panasonic and Pioneer have plug-in cards instead of the media box. And there have been upgraded 3rd party cards for them unlike the media boxes. Also the media boxes from Sharp have had known inferior quality scaling than the cards.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottb4u
Second, a media box is upgradeable or can be changed out with a newer model for future connection methods.

From my understanding, the strategy of Sony, Hitachi, and Pioneer is to NOT have the media box upgradeable. Although the ability to switch out media boxes would be adventageous to the consumer, it would not be profit minded adventageous to the company. Case in point, Sony's panel is said to be the same as last year's (900 vs 950) but the media box changed. Can you use this year's media box with last year's panel - NO.

As Rogo said, media boxes have never been upgradeable or interchangeable, and I do not suspect they will be in the future.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Consumer preference and consumer opinion can make anything happen. As long as there is a defined profit pathway for the manufacturers, they will eventually listen to their customers.

However, until critical mass has been achieved in market absortion/market share of displays sold, I doubt that you will see any upgrade options.

It is interesting to compare the more mature, audiophile equipment market and the upgradeablity offered by many of the manufacturers (on their high end tuners, amps, CD/DVD transports, etc.) versus the plamsa display market.

Certainly plasma displays are very high end purchases and should come with these same options and upgrade pathways. However, for some reason, plasmas are currently made by the mass market manufacturers and marketed just like their low end consumer products. These companies live and die by bringing out new "better" models, year after year, rather than servicing their existing customers. They obviously perceive us early adopters as test subjects for their planned phase in to create their market share position. While they will fix major problems as they arise, our wants and desires for upgrades to equipment already purchased, will fall on deaf ears.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I have owned a Pio 1110 for a couple of weeks and have come to

appreciate the media box for convenience of not having all my

cables run up to the panel and not having to stand on my head to

make or change connections. Also most media boxes offer more inputs

than the direct panel approach which eliminates those cumbersome

expensive switchers. This was not a deciding issue at the time I made

my choice but now I count my blessings after setting everything up and

see how clean and professional everything looks. Having the media

box located with all the other equipment has really been a big plus.

I am currently using 3 component inputs, 1 Svideo input, 1 HDMI,

and 1 ILink input. This would not be so easy without the media box.

Not to mention the breath taking picture I get from it all.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Quote:
The better plasma displays like Panasonic and Pioneer have plug-in cards instead of the media box. And there have been upgraded 3rd party cards for them unlike the media boxes. Also the media boxes from Sharp have had known inferior quality scaling than the cards.
Pioneer's "better" plasmas (consumer) now come with a media box..... Their industrial model will not, but that is a form / factor requirement, not a functional improvement or reduction.

So focus on the form and factor (convenience) issues, not performance differences. The conveniences are numerous for many people, irrelevant for some.

And to restate what was said above but ignored .... Sharp does NOT make the boxes for Pioneer any longer. They were phased out during the previous models and are NOT involved in the new models.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Media box upgrades = not gonna happen.

Sharp's new 45" LCD, fwiw, comes with or without media box -- buyer's choice... Very nice...

Seriously, someone ought to post a thread / poll about media boxes, what they need to be like, etc.

Mark

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have Pioneer 5040. Elite version is 1110HD. Primary diff. appears to be ability to make more color adjustments with Elite. This is important to me in my efforts to ge the green out.

QUESTION:

1. Where are the enhanced adjustment controls of the ELITE model located ... in the PLASMA itself or in the MEDIA BOX?

2. If it is in the MEDIA BOX how can I purchase the ELITE "pro" model? and connect to my 5040.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have Pioneer 5040. Elite version is 1110HD. Primary diff. appears to be ability to make more color adjustments with Elite. This is important to me in my efforts to ge the green out.

QUESTION:

1. Where are the enhanced adjustment controls of the ELITE model located ... in the PLASMA itself or in the MEDIA BOX?

2. If it is in the MEDIA BOX how can I purchase the ELITE "pro" model? and connect to my 5040.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.