AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've just built a new HTPC & need a little advice. I apologize if these questions have been asked before.

I've got around 600 DVDs & Blu-rays ripped into mp4 files named simply Avatar.mp4 for example. All files are in a local folder named "movies" with the DVD rips in a sub-folder of the "movies" folder named standard def & the blu-ray rips in another sub-folder of the "movies" folder named full def.

Win7 Media Center & XBMC play these files just fine, but don't show media info (cover art) etc... of any kind. I'm guessing from what I've read around here, it sounds like each file needs to be in it's own folder. Is this correct, & if so, whats the easiest way to do this?

Or, is there software out there that I can use that will leave the mp4s where they are & create it's own database? I would prefer this approach.

It seems like there are dozens of 3rd party apps out there that do what I'm wanting. Please recommend a path to take.

Thanks

Shemp

·
Registered
237 Posts
There's a tool called file2folder available here that will create the folders for you and move the files in. Depending on how accurately your movies are named, that should allow you to get most art and metadata automatically. You may need to add the year to some folders to get the correct result (for example, 'Star Trek (2009)'), and you'll also need to make sure that the folder name matches the way the movie title appears on TMDB .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.