1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
WoooHoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
What would it take to get Copy Protected content delivered on the Roku (or Android/iOS for that matter) outside the WMC extender architecture?

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1523071/media-browser-live-tv-on-roku#post_24497715

What would it take to get Copy Protected content delivered on the Roku (or Android/iOS for that matter) outside the WMC extender architecture?

Oodles of money.

·
Registered
255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1523071/media-browser-live-tv-on-roku#post_24497715

I just don't see it happening. It's not just the cost-they'd need to create a custom, completely isolated transmission and playback path for the android/ios devices. For the third party clients (Roku) they'd need them to be updated to comply with Playready requirements.

I would very much like to be wrong on this-it seems that this board is filled with a lot of long tiresome discussions over which of the Media Center Extender options is least inadequate, but I just don't see how something like this could be done.

·
Registered
346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor  /t/1523071/media-browser-live-tv-on-roku#post_24497956

I just don't see it happening. It's not just the cost-they'd need to create a custom, completely isolated transmission and playback path for the android/ios devices. For the third party clients (Roku) they'd need them to be updated to comply with Playready requirements.

I would very much like to be wrong on this-it seems that this board is filled with a lot of long tiresome discussions over which of the Media Center Extender options is least inadequate, but I just don't see how something like this could be done.

Essentially, what the discussion always comes down to is that it takes more money than can reasonably be expected in ROI.

Or, you know, we could spend the time and money lobbying to abolish the broken copyright laws and make non-user-friendly DRM illegal.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I have not tried this on my Roku yet because I use my extenders but is is working okay now?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Does Roku allow for the Cable provider's andorid/iOS app to be loaded? I have TWC and have their Android app loaded to my phone and tablets. They also support iOS. My inlaws have Fios and they have an app as well. I think AT&T has one so I assume Cox, Comcast & Charter all have one too. If they do, and these apps can be sideloaded to Roku then I suppose that is the future of getting protected content to these type devices. Your subscription and level will determine what you get. The step beyond that would then be to get some form of place/time shifting on Roku-like devices. I still would not want to depend on my cableco on-demand content as my DVR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts