AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a bunch or threads about cooling but I have a question about my setup. I have a denon avr891 and my htpc in this cabinet. I usually leave the doors open while using my htpc but would like to be able to keep them shut. The back is cut open but there is not really any airflow unless the front door is open. Would some 120mm fans in the back top help pull the hot air out when the door is closed?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sorry but exhaust alone will not make any difference.

I always like to say "you can't suck out a candle"

The goal in any cooling application s you must replace the hot air with fresh air.

Just like in your home you have a return-exhaust and a supply-feed.

Without the return your ac would be rendered completely useless.

What you need is away to get fresh air forced in by fans ideally from the front bottom with the back sealed with exhaust fans mounted high pulling out the air. The locations are important as you take advantage of convection-heat rises- and you create the largest airflow area.

If this is not possible a last ditch effort could be used to force the heat away from the equipment and exhaust out the back. But as mentioned without a forced exchange fresh air your results will be minimal at best.

Check out the component coolers from
http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac/cooling/qcool.htm

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Does the receiver have a intake grill on the bottom? You could cut out a hole underneath or drill multiple holes so it draws air in from under the TV stand.

Another option is to leave the door slightly open, 1" should be enough.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Put an intake fan on the bottom of the case and exhaust fan at the top of the case, both in the back. That should create enough air flow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts