AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to modify the closet at the house and turn it into our media closet. PS3, Reciever, Wii, HTPC, CableBox. All i can think of at the moment. As you can see it will generate enough heat that we will need some kind of vent.

Currently the closet has no vent. Tested temp by throwing 2 old pcs in it and ran over night. next morning it was 10 degrees hotter. These are idle pcs so i'd hate to see what happens when a machine is working hard.

So my thought to resolve this issue to add a couple of fans. One pulls in air and one removes air. The one at the bottom of the closet pulls in cool air from our return air vent. The fan that takes the air out at the top of the closet into our return air vent.

I got bored at work so i made a drawling. Glad to say my construction skills are superior than my paint ones. Then again i think i've seen my 2yr nephew use crayons better.

So my question is this a good way to design the venting for this closet or should i approach it differently?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Haven't seen this before...

Unless, that door is weatherstripped and hermetically sealed, you don't need the bottom fan. The top one will suck (relatively) cool air in from under the door. Usually it is considered better to blow cold air into the equipment than suck hot air out, but in this case I don't think it will make much of a difference.

If the HVAC system is running, my guess is that you won't even need a fan in the top vent.

Not sure what will happen when the HVAC system is not running. Could you wind up with a closed loop between the two vents? Hot air rises, but it has to displace something. How is it going to do that effectively in an HVAC system that is not running.

If you have an attic directly above, or at least one you could run a duct more or less straight to, my suggestion would be to vent to the attic. You'll want a thermostatically controlled fan and some kind of flag mechanism to close the vent when the fan is not running to do it right.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
AVSforum for media closet cooling. Spend a couple weeks in the hometheater subforum - lots of discussion there, on venting media closets and racks.

Lots of different options for venting your closet. Choosing the best one will take time and effort on your part, reading how other people have done it.

Vent to the outside, vent to the attic, vent through the HVAC. Bathroom fan, rack fans, in-line duct Panasonic bathroom fan, Cool Cube - tons of choices. Will sound be an issue? Some fans are loud - do you need to buy a fan that has a good sound rating? How many CFM does your fan have to be?

Do you have an attic above, or basement below?

I agree 1 fan will be enough.

Middle Atlantic has an interesting white paper covering CE cooling - specific to racks, but lots of good info.
http://repnet.middleatlantic.com/COM...ent%203-04.pdf

·
Registered
345 Posts
So... i've read through but no one really talks about cfm requirement. I know in a normal bathroom implementation, cfm should be roughly equal to square footage of the room, but in a situation where the rack is creating a LOT of heat, it seems a good idea to probably use more than 15 cfm which is probably the avg size of a closet footprint.

·
Registered
374 Posts
15 cubic feet would be an awfully small closet. Without measuring, I'd say most of my closets are close to 3' x 3' x 8' or 72 cubic feet. Maybe you were thinking 15 square feet and forgetting about the height? I'd say you need to remove the air at least twice a minute if not more, so ~150 or even ~300 cfm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.