AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased a Parker House Media Center (this one http://www.parker-house.com/parkerap...y_Media_System ) and I'd like to modify the back panel so that it's easy to remove and put back on. It hasn't arrived yet, so I'm not exactly sure of the material used for the back or how it is secured. However, my guess is it's a thin piece of wood or cardboard that's secured with finishing nails.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have a look at how sanus.com does theirs (Designer Series - they have installation and technical drawings posted on their site). They use modular back panels in steel and have notches on the edges, which is where screws are used to fasten the panel to the frame. To remove a section, you just need to remove two screws, loosten two others and that panel comes off. Very handy.

If the material is rigid enough, I would think you can cut the back panel into pieces so that they span half the width of the wood frame (think of drywall installation, where it overlaps half the stud). Then cut 4 notches on each side and use screws to fasten.

Another alternative (instead of screws and notches) is to install hinges on the top of each panel. Then you would just need to swing the panel up. Of course, you'd need clearance from the wall, but that would be a given to get behind a unit for maintenance anyhow).

You can also install a track of some sort on the top and bottom which would allow you to slide the panels in and out from the side. You'd just want to do it in such a way that the cables wouldn't get in the way (perhaps run the cables down the center of the unit and have the panels slide out from both the left and right sides.

BTW, For cable management, Sanus has done it so the panels don't span the entire back, either. There is about 4 inches of space uncovered in the center of the entire unit (running vertically). They use sections of a strong, flexible plastic that curves and this plastic wedges itself between the fixed panels (thus providing a channel to run the wires).

I suggest having a look at their downloadable documentation - might give you even more ideas above those I've provided.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts