AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Media Center quit playing recorded tv. Error message just says some file missing or other problem has occurred preventing playing back file. I have not made any big change so have no lead about the cause.This system has been running for 3 yrs with little problem. I did upgrade to Win7 when it came out.

I think some codec was messed up. I have no idea how to proceed.

Help!!

Win 7HomeP upgrade from Vista a year back

Asus M3A78-EM board with 4G ram and Phenom II X2 BE 955

Phenom II X2 955 was added 3 weeks ago,so it might have started something??

Bob Howell

·
Registered
616 Posts
This has happened to me with XP MCE after changing the mobo and CPU.

It turned out to be a soft-DRM issue which could be resolved by deleting some files from MCE's settings.

I can't remember what I did to fix it. WHat happened was existing recordings refused to playback after the upgrade.

http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind...82/438670.aspx

If you follow the following instructions to reset DRM: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...x?&id=C00D2798 ( You may need to make protected OS files visible from Windows Explorer settings) everything should revert to normal.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If interested, you can find some instructions on re-installing Media Center here.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Did you have automatic updates enabled or if not install any updates? If so you could just try rolling back to a restore point prior to the update, if not rolling back to a restore point just prior to the issue showing if available wouldn't hurt to try either. If it ends up nothing was changed to cause the problem and it's from corrupt files you might want to try running chdsk. Assuming it's actually a codec problem you could try installing one of the codec packs like shark007 that's know to work well w/ 7MC to see it corrects the problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at the error message and see it says files needed to play back tv in media center are missing and I must restart windows. That has not helped. Looks like I am missing some file which I figure must be a codec.

All I can think of is something happened to the win7 media player codec. Corruptions??

How do I repair it??

I have ruled out DRM issues as I don't have a cable card and these files will play on another desktop on my network running Win7. Thet are just tv shows from over the air tv.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
It will only list the latest one. I forgot where, but on that page will be an option to select another restore point or choose your own. After you click that link then all existing restore points will appear.

·
Registered
623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltaker /forum/post/20768702

Have you or Windows Update updated the ATI graphics driver lately? Some of the ATI drivers may cause the problem you're having. I'd either down-grade or upgrade the ATI driver to find out.

I had a similar problem. Installed Win 7 Home Premium and got Media Center Working with MS-installed ATI HD4200 (IGP) driver. After installing CCC (forget which version but latest from ATI a couple of months ago) no live tv and no recorded tv. Said "files neccessary to playback...are missing" (to paraphrase).

Uninstalled CCC and reinstalled driver from MS and it works. Leaving well enough alone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.