AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hopefully one of the reasons it's going to be in the first pre-release is they're actually making it better than the current 7MC and just haven't got around to sticking pretty much the same thing we already have.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage
Yeah, if I cannot import my protected shows, I am not going to upgrade.
I really wish they will listen and think. If we own the current show, I sincerely hope that they will have some upgrade path to remain the DRM/PlayReady info and we can upgrade W8 w/o any problem.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Anyone else not getting what MS is doing here. Why combine the tablet and PC OS? So long as files are completely compatible between the two I don't see the advantage. Seems to me apple is doing the right thing here.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
But are they ever going to fix the bug about live ATSC, DD audio, and navigation sounds in WMC? The fact that it has existed this long in W7 is direct proof that they aren't taking Media Center seriously. At least they aren't killing it in W8.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar
But are they ever going to fix the bug about live ATSC, DD audio, and navigation sounds in WMC? The fact that it has existed this long in W7 is direct proof that they aren't taking Media Center seriously. At least they aren't killing it in W8.
I think they are not fixing it because the work around is so easy - why bother spending money to fix something when everyone bypasses it?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Yes, but.......

Quote:
Media Center will not be part of the first pre-release builds.

....and

Quote:
Interestingly, the feedback about Media Center was predominantly “we will pay extra, just include it” based on the input directly to me. Today Media Center is part of “premium” SKUs for Windows, which means that is the case today.

In addition a lot of folks said “everyone I know uses it.” As I said, we’re completely committed to delivering Media Center in Windows 8, but I wanted to share some of the usage data. This data in no way influenced not delivering it as part of the first pre-release build—we are as committed as ever to Media Center.

Our opt-in usage telemetry shows that in July, Windows Media Center was launched by 6% of Windows 7 users globally with the heaviest usage in Russia, Mexico, and Brazil (frequency and time). However, most people are just looking around; only one quarter (25% of 6%) of these people used it for more than 10 minutes per session (individual averages), and in 59% of Media Center sessions (by these 6% of users) we see almost no activity (less than a minute or two of usage). TV was the most common scenario we observed, and not surprisingly, traditional media (DVD and CD) are less common (and declining over time) than streaming and file-based content. By comparison, Media Player (66% of Windows users in July) and IE (88%) are popular rendering engines for all types of media content, including an increased volume of "premium" and streaming content.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/20904956

I think they are not fixing it because the work around is so easy - why bother spending money to fix something when everyone bypasses it?

That's like saying "Let's not fix the gigantic pothole in the middle of the freeway because people could take the backroads and avoid that stretch of freeway." Although the workaround might be easy, based on the error message, it is not obvious that there is a workaround and what the workaround is.

WMC has potential, but geeze, have they made some parts of it incredibly clunky. It takes forever to toggle between full screen and windowed mode when watching live tv, recorded tv, or a dvd. And why the heck does it move the mouse into the center of the screen every time you do that? Just so that it will be painfully obvious in the middle of the picture in case you knock the mouse around a few pixels. And if you have it paused, it can't even keep it paused on the same frame when you toggle between windowed and full screen mode, or even when you hit alt-tab to change which program is in front.

I don't know what they're doing in WMC, but it could be so much better with just a little refinement in the UI. But instead, we're dodging potholes.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar /forum/post/20914336

That's like saying "Let's not fix the gigantic pothole in the middle of the freeway because people could take the backroads and avoid that stretch of freeway." Although the workaround might be easy, based on the error message, it is not obvious that there is a workaround and what the workaround is.

It's not that bad. It is more like not fixing the potholes on the side of the road.

Quote:
WMC has potential, but geeze, have they made some parts of it incredibly clunky. It takes forever to toggle between full screen and windowed mode when watching live tv, recorded tv, or a dvd.

Why on Earth would you want to do that?

Quote:
And why the heck does it move the mouse into the center of the screen every time you do that? Just so that it will be painfully obvious in the middle of the picture in case you knock the mouse around a few pixels. And if you have it paused, it can't even keep it paused on the same frame when you toggle between windowed and full screen mode, or even when you hit alt-tab to change which program is in front.

Why would they waste their time and money on something only a handful of people will ever actually do during routine TV watching?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/20914560

Why on Earth would you want to do that?

Why would they waste their time and money on something only a handful of people will ever actually do during routine TV watching?

I do it all the time whenever commercials come on while I'm watching live tv. Sometimes I'll surf avsforum during a commercial, or some other website. Most tv shows I prefer to watch after they've finished recording so I can zip past the commercials, but sports are best when watched live, and they are crammed with an extreme surplus of commercials. Why would you prefer to watch commercials when you could be doing something else?

Obviously they're not wasting their time and money and they're leaving WMC as a clunky wannabe. It could be great, but it is not.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar /forum/post/20914336

WMC has potential, but geeze, have they made some parts of it incredibly clunky. It takes forever to toggle between full screen and windowed mode when watching live tv, recorded tv, or a dvd. And why the heck does it move the mouse into the center of the screen every time you do that? Just so that it will be painfully obvious in the middle of the picture in case you knock the mouse around a few pixels. And if you have it paused, it can't even keep it paused on the same frame when you toggle between windowed and full screen mode, or even when you hit alt-tab to change which program is in front.

I don't know what they're doing in WMC, but it could be so much better with just a little refinement in the UI. But instead, we're dodging potholes.

I think it's more like why repave the back road when everyone is using the highway.

Why would you even being switching from windowed to full screen and be using a mouse on a 10' UI.

Edit:nevermind I missed your second post, you're just not using it the way it was intended for person reasons.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I do the exact same thing, window mode when commercials come on, actually most of the time I leave wmc in a small window in the corner while surfing etc... and when something catches my ear on tv I maximize it and loose audio for the second I was trying to catch what they were saying. Seeing as how wmc is the only interface capable of using cable cards it's one of many little things I would like to see improved myself.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/20899805

My question is are they going to address the crippling shortcomings for those of us who want a whole-house solution.

They won't do that because being able to use codecs that MS doesn't support is apparently to promote another product they do not want.

Really most of us that take this topic seriously are likely already using a third party solution like Media Player Classic, or even DivX player for example, which are way more sophisticated than Media player IMO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.