AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my arms around this whole "Media Center" concept. How does that differ from the DVR that my cable company provides? I was considering buying/building a DVD PC based system to play 3D movies using the Tri-Def software. Then I got thinking, why not put a BD in it to watch Blu-Ray movies, Since I'm at it why not put a 1 Tbit HD in it and rip all my CD's to. Can I simply put in a TV-Tuner card and do away with the DVR my cable company installed? If so, how do I access all the "On-Demand" channels and so forth from my cable company? I have a ton more questions but I'll stop here. I have the biggest item out of the way.... A 65" Mitsubushi DLP TV Santa gave me for Christmas last year. Now I need all the goodies that go with it.

Thanks,

Kenn

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennmac /forum/post/14240385

I'm trying to get my arms around this whole "Media Center" concept. How does that differ from the DVR that my cable company provides? Can I simply put in a TV-Tuner card and do away with the DVR my cable company installed? If so, how do I access all the "On-Demand" channels and so forth from my cable company?

Probably not. The cable companies are making it hard for you to get content on a PC. If you're extremely lucky, your cable provider might be sending you the channels you subscribe to unencrypted and you can buy any off-the-shelf QAM TV tuner card to record to your PC. Chances are, the only channels that'll be unencrypted are the same ones you can get via antenna. You can buy a CableCARD-ready PC and tuner (e.g. Dell XPS 420, I think) and rent a CableCARD module from your cable provider to get premium channels. Neither of the above options solve the issue of on-demand, though.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennmac /forum/post/14240385

If so, how do I access all the "On-Demand" channels and so forth from my cable company?

Thanks,

Kenn

the way I use my HTPC when I get an 'on demand' movie (via Verizon FIOS) that I want to record, I just simply start a manual recording via my Beyond TV software. Then I have to stop the recording at the end too.

Not sure if that is info you're looking for? I use my HTPC like a VCR, record what I'm missing, or want to watch later, etc., and then playback when I'm ready. I don't actually watch live TV on my PC or anything like that, altho w/the new system I'm building I may mess around w/it.

I know that Comcast wouldn't allow you to PVR their on demand stuff, I'm assuming Verizon is the same way (it's been a while, my system has been glitchy - hence the new build, lol).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts