AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the world of media streamers and want to make sure I fundamentally understand how all these pretty "media center" applications for media streamers (such as YAMJ or Zappiti) work.

Am I correct that all these applications basically do nothing more exciting than generate a single JPG file for each video file - one that just so happens to contain relevant movie information?
So technically, it's no different than just associating any old image with each movie?

What I would really like is a database-like application where you could LINK information together. In other words, something similar to the PC applications Collectorz, Media Jukebox, Personal Video Database to name a few). For example, you could click on an actor's name to list all other movies with that actor. Another example, you could interactively rate a movie directly on the player.

Can any media streamer/player on the market do that, or would this require a full HTPC for the foreseeable future?

Second question, can I define subcategories (e.g. Animation -> Disney and Animation -> Pixar) or am I restricted to one hierarchical level?

·
Registered
3 Posts
YAMJ = database driven app (not an app generating single image jpg). It pulls data from multiple sources (not only IMDB) and creates a hierarchy of indexes which behaves like a catalog

Thumbgen = app that generates single jpg

Both apps run on a PC to collect the pics/info (PC processing power means the job gets done faster). The resulting images, indexes is then put on the media player. ACRyan Playon! support both YAMJ and Thumbgen. You can check out more info of both apps on acryan.com/forums where the crew of the apps and the community are supporting the apps. In the forums, look within Playon!HD board, then under Community Development sub-board.

I think YAMJ could be what you are looking for. Give it a try. I'm not sure if it does sub-categories though, or only one level categories. If I find the answer, I'll drop a post here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts