AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several post on this webpage. What I am looking to do is play my dvd's and blurays that I have through a media extender, and I am hoping I can do this through my xbox 360. My bluray's are saved in a iso format and my dvd's are in a folder structure. It looks as if I can not do this as is. Is there any media extender that will allow me to do this and not lose video quality? Is there a different format that I can convert my current dvd's and blurays to in order to make this happen? Thanks for the help and if you need any more information on what my setup is let me know.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
media center extenders can't play dvds or bluray discs. for dvds, you can transcode them on the fly or you can convert them to either a mpg or a dvr-ms file. I've never had any luck with transcoding. to make mgps, I use a free little program called vob2mpg. Another option is videoredo, but it costs money.

I don't know about bluray, but I think that the xbox360 can play some m2ts files.

sage media extenders can play all of those files.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Windows Media Center Extenders - and to a slightly lesser extent the XBox 360 - are quite limited in their support for stuff other than Live and Recorded TV. (If you're in Europe the non-360s won't even cope with HDTV as they don't support H264...)

DVD ISO and VIDEO_TS content will need to be transcoded on the fly or remuxed or recoded for replay. Blu-ray ISOs will need to be remuxed or transcoded and this may need to be off-line.

Other extenders - like the Sage HD Theater - WILL play DVD ISOs and have some (though not full) Blu-ray compatibility - and the Sage will also do Live TV if you have a Sage TV set-up.

An nVidia ION HTPC with a local Windows Media Center install might be worth considering for DVD and Blu-ray ISO network replay as well - though Live TV would need a local tuner or an HD Homerun style network tuner (though you can play recorded TV over the network now)

·
Registered
332 Posts
will a 360 play .mkv files? if so, you can convert all your dvd/bd's with MakeMkv. free software that is very easy to use. point it to a location and hit a button.

you lose menu functions but can keep disc extras (the software will see the extra .vob/m2ts files and rip those as well if you want), they will just be different files that you'll open yourself. can rip subtitles, additional languages and audio commentary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.