AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Mitsubishi RPTV in my basement and I'd like to stream movies to it. It has component hookups but I tried several times to get my WDTV work without success. Is there anything else I should look at that cost $100-$150 that would be a good choice for an older TV?

Thanks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
How old? If it's so old it's not even HD, then your problem is that the WDTV doesn't offer 480i over component. If that is the case, then you should just connect the composite output - you're already giving up so much picture quality compared to buying a new TV that the minor improvement of 480i over component vs composite is comparatively small.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhue /forum/post/19600521

Most Mits CRT RPTVs cannot accept a 720p component signal. 1080i should have been possible from your WDTV player.

Really? I didn't know that. Maybe I'll try 1080i again. The problem I had was I could never see the screen enough (the image was distorted) to change any of the settings.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
The problem is the WDTV Live defaults to 720p which as you saw doesn't display on some older HDTVs.

The trick is to connect it up intially with a composite video input which is always 480i so you can go into the audio/video setup menu and select component 1080i. Then it will save that setting for the future and you can go back to the component input.

I wish WD would change the default to 480p on component that would always work until you change it to another setting.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The Roku HD1000 photobridge should work great for you. They can be had for under $70 on ebay. I even have a couple left to sell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.