AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some great advice on these forums and I'm hoping someone can help us with our setup. It's important to note, however, that we're low-res people . . . our TVs are still analog tube sets (and when one finally breaks, we still have an extra one in the basement so it'll be a while before we upgrade) and we don't really care about high-def stuff for our in-home entertainment.

We currently have comcast for our tv and they keep raising their rates . . . in a few months, we're going to have to change our service. We've decided that we can downgrade our TV to the lowest level of service and that'll save us $30/month. HOWEVER, when you do that, Comcast then charges $8.75/month for any extra little boxes you might have around the house. Basically, for the lower rate plan, you only get one box to hook up to one TV!

We have the Comcast Digital Cable Box in our bedroom and we're thinking that the cheapest (and easiest?) thing to do for our situation is have THAT signal sent throughout the house. So, we need some sort of Media Player/Streamer with TV Input.

Here's what we're thinking about doing:

- Cable comes into house and goes IN to Comcast Cable Box;

- Cable Box OUT (coaxial, component, composite) would go IN to Media Player/Streamer;

- Media Streamer would hook up to our network via ETHERNET (or wifi/wireless, though that's a bit unreliable and slow) to be distributed throughout the house;

- 3 of 4 TVs currently have connections to computers that are on our network;

- We'd use one of the other Cable Box OUTS to connect to the TV in our bedroom.

- We have a remote control extender that would allow us to switch channels from anywhere. (We know this means one station on all the tvs in the house, unless that TV is playing something from the network.)

So, we need some sort of player/streamer unit with a TV INPUT and ETHERNET and, of course, we're trying to do this as cheaply as possible. We've searched for things from WD, Micca, Pivos, Slingbox (some pretty bad reviews), and others . . . haven't found it yet.

Any advice you all could offer would be greatly appreciated,

stu

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Maybe you're cable company is different by why do you need a box at every TV if your going to just basic cable? In the case of Charter, a box is only needed if you want to record and/or want the premium channels...the guide as well I believe. Even with the rollout of SDV (switched digital video) my bedroom TV is able to pull in the basic channels without any box. Chances are, unless you're TV's are dated, the built in tuner will work fine. You'll just need to run the setup of each TV through the channel programming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our cable company is different. Comcast is all-digital which means, if you want to watch anything other than four channels, you need some sort of box at each spot. We actually like having some of the cable channels -- usa, comedy central, syfy, bravo, etc -- so I don't mind paying for their minimum package. We really don't need the various movie channels, sports, and foreign language stuff that comes with the next level, though, but that's when they let you have up to three "small" boxes for free.

So, if we could stream our live tv via internet, from some sort of "streamer" that has "TV IN" on it, we can figure everything else out.

Thanks,

stu

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
SiliconDust HDHomerun TV Tuners? I'm not sure if that will work though. This can record TV shows, and then you can stream them via network to different computers and / or game consoles. I don't know if it will work for media players.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts