AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Just wanted some advise. So many media players out there, it's hard to know which way to go.

I do currently have the Tvix Slim S1. I like some aspects of it, but it doesn't seem to be working for me the way I want.

So this is what i'm after.

Support of HD Audio passthrough - DTS MSTR & DD True HD

Support of Subtitles in MKV - I find that when I rip my blu rays that have forced subtitles, playing them on my Mac using VLC player, it plays fine, but the Tvix won't play them, you have to download the subtitles and add them. I'd rather not have to do that.

I like the cover flow used with the tvix, so anything similar to that.

I'd like it to use gigabyte ethernet so I can stream music and other videos etc from my mac.

So I am wondering what media player would suit me.

Or would something like a mac mini running plex work? not sure about the audio side of things, if it would passthrough the HD Audio.

I've looked at maybe the tvix Xroid 1, popcorn hour c-300 , A-300 or c-200, Dune HD Smart D1 or any other brands like ACRyan etc

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theforceunleashe  /t/1420328/media-player-suggestions#post_22220265

Hi All, Just wanted some advise. So many media players out there, it's hard to know which way to go.

I do currently have the Tvix Slim S1. I like some aspects of it, but it doesn't seem to be working for me the way I want.

So this is what i'm after.

Support of HD Audio passthrough - DTS MSTR & DD True HD

Support of Subtitles in MKV - I find that when I rip my blu rays that have forced subtitles, playing them on my Mac using VLC player, it plays fine, but the Tvix won't play them, you have to download the subtitles and add them. I'd rather not have to do that.

I like the cover flow used with the tvix, so anything similar to that.

I'd like it to use gigabyte ethernet so I can stream music and other videos etc from my mac.

So I am wondering what media player would suit me.

Or would something like a mac mini running plex work? not sure about the audio side of things, if it would passthrough the HD Audio.

I've looked at maybe the tvix Xroid 1, popcorn hour c-300 , A-300 or c-200, Dune HD Smart D1 or any other brands like ACRyan etc

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Well, I think the biggest issue you will have is the Force Subs via MKV. I own both the PCH-A210 and Dune D1. The new MKV ripping software is supposed to have fixed this so now media players can recognize the Force Sub. flag. However, my PCH-A210 will recognize the Force Subs with M2TS files, which is my preferred way to rip BD. I don't really use BD MKV files. I mainly use MKV for DVD movies.

I believe I've got District 9 as DVD MKV file. I will play it on both PCH and Dune player, and I will get back to see if it recognizes the Force Flag. However, I ripped this movie long time ago with an older MakeMKV software. So, I might have to re-rip it again with the new version.

I used to own an AIOS, which has the 1185 realtek chip. The AIOS would recognize the Force Flag all the time with MKV and M2TS files without any issue. It also played HD audio like the PCH and Dune does.

The other issue that I see, is that you want a gigabit ethernet within the media player. I just want to let you know, you will not get gigabit or 100 MB/s based speeds. If you are lucky you might get 8 MB/s. The bottleneck is the media players processor. These media players are made to play files, and not to transfer files.

Dune and PCH are probably the best media players out there in my opinion. However, Dune increased their prices and never upgraded their hardware. PCH as approximately $100 dollars cheaper than Dune. If you don't care about having a jukebox, I would recommend the Micca EP950, which is base of the 1186 chip, which can also play 3D. The Micca has some frame issues when playing 3D, but some people do not have any issues at all.

Another option would be the Mede8er Med500X2, which I used to own as well. It is an excellent media player, which has a movie and music jukebox. It is based on the 1185 realtek chip, which doesn't recognize BD ISO's with Java. I believe it recognized BD lite ISO's menus.

·
Registered
900 Posts
What does forced subs mean anyway? Is that when they come on automatically? If so its not really that much of an inconvenience to turn the subs on is it?

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357  /t/1420328/media-player-suggestions#post_22232154

What does forced subs mean anyway? Is that when they come on automatically? If so its not really that much of an inconvenience to turn the subs on is it?

When you see movies that there speaking in another language other then the country code you disk and player is you will see the sub titles of your country codes language. So lets say The Tourist, there's some french speaking in the movie and as you watch it the player will pick it up and display it in the default language which would be English if your country code was A. You can't really turn them off or on if it's not coded.

Now as far as the forced sub's in a mkv file I do my bluray's in mkv and they work just fine with Boxee Box and A.C. Ryan PlayON HD ( Don't buy the A.C. Ryan!!). The problem that you have with forced subs is that you have to find the correct language track that has it. Now I use 2 programs to do my mkv's cause each has it's ups and downs. I mainly use RipBot cause it has a the selection of FLAC audio if usable depending on movies that are older on Blu-Ray but the problem with RipBot is that sometimes it won't pick up the Sub's and usually it's the 1st english track but that's not always the case. When that happens I use DVDFab which a friend turned me on to, I only use it when I can't find the Forced Sub. There are other ways to find it for using RipBot but I'm kinda a novice at this.

Anyway if the player supports MKV files I don't see why it wouldn't support ForcedSubs as long as it was done correctly. Take for instance the Star Trek movies, I tried all of the english tracks and couldn't get the subs for when there talking Klingon, so I had to use DVDFab to do it and sure enough it did and worked fine on the streamer. Now that's not to say that I've tested all of the HD Media Players but you can always find one you like and then ask the company that makes it. Just remember as I said that if the ForcedSub wasn't found then it's not gonna show.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts