AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am new to the 3D blu Ray scene and am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

I have a samsung 50 inch 1080p 3D tv and want to start playing my 3d movies through a media player via external HD. Wd media player claims it can play 3D content in the mkv format. However I'm not sure if this will effect the quality of the picture. The WD media player has a 1.3 hdmi which confuses me as I thought you need an hdmi 1.4 to play 3d 1080p content. Should I just stick to burning my 3D blu rays or take this option into consideration?

I am not to picky about the sound quality but would like the picture to be at it's best.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your Samsung 3D TV should be able to play MKV files by plugging the hard drive into one if the USB ports on the TV. Just use the remote to navigate thru the sources and play the movie. If you wanna play a 3D MKV it needs to be in side by side format or SBS. SBS is basically two side by side frames of the movie. Use the 3D button on the remote to select the side by side option and it will put the frames together giving it the 3D effect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdawg29
Your Samsung 3D TV should be able to play MKV files by plugging the hard drive into one if the USB ports on the TV. Just use the remote to navigate thru the sources and play the movie. If you wanna play a 3D MKV it needs to be in side by side format or SBS. SBS is basically two side by side frames of the movie. Use the 3D button on the remote to select the side by side option and it will put the frames together giving it the 3D effect.
Thanks! But just so I understand. Even if I get the wd media player, rip avatar 3d to a HD, hook it up to the media player and tv, I won't be able to select the 3d option right from the blu Ray menu? It will only work in side by side and not from the original disc? If that is the case I may not bother until there is a way to play right from the blu Ray menu. And if so how would I go about getting a side by side of a 3d movie?

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky1414
Thanks! But just so I understand. Even if I get the wd media player, rip avatar 3d to a HD, hook it up to the media player and tv, I won't be able to select the 3d option right from the blu Ray menu? It will only work in side by side and not from the original disc? If that is the case I may not bother until there is a way to play right from the blu Ray menu. And if so how would I go about getting a side by side of a 3d movie?

Thanks for the reply!
You would have to rip Avatar to a hard drive using a program that would convert it to a 3D format such as Side by Side(there are other formats too such as Over Under and checkerboard). If you go to this site It will explain a lot about how to play different 3D and about different formats HTTP://****************

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdawg29 /forum/post/0

You would have to rip Avatar to a hard drive using a program that would convert it to a 3D format such as Side by Side(there are other formats too such as Over Under and checkerboard). If you go to this site It will explain a lot about how to play different 3D and about different formats HTTP://****************

Thanks for the info. I will definitely take a look at that website. In my case right now I own avatar 3d blu Ray and when I put it in my 3d blu Ray player it tells me to turn on my 3d glasses automatically (no side by side or top and bottom , etc.). It's the "3D Blu Ray" will this work when converting to mkv? Will the blu Ray menus show up in mkv format?

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been playing YouTube 3D side-by-side videos on my Mitsubishi 60738 via my WDTC Live Plus player.

They are not consistent as to "Standard" or "Reverse" glasses mode. Turning the glasses upside down or backwards is good for a quick evaluation if things look wrong, at first.

I wish the WDTV would allow selecting higher res versions. Usually, to get HD, I have to play it on a PC, capture it, and move it to my NAS box for playback on the WDTV.

I recommend the Pangea trailer, and "Stereoscopic Glass Works" as outstanding examples. The aspect ratio comes out wrong on the latter, though...I am going to see if I can fix that.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
I believe the bottom line is currently there is no standalone media player that will play a full resolution (i.e.. full 1080 x 1920 resolution per eye) rips of a Blu-ray 3D discs. The only 3D format that supports this is the 1080p Frame Packing format defined in the Blu-ray 3D and HDMI 1.4 specs and no current media player supports this. Thus the bottom line is you need to settle on a half resolution version (i.e., 1080v by 960h) using the side-by-side format with the current media players. The only exception would be to build a HTPC with the right video card and 3D ready software player that could support the Frame Packing format.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/19638391

I believe the bottom line is currently there is no standalone media player that will play a full resolution (i.e.. full 1080 x 1920 resolution per eye) rips of a Blu-ray 3D discs. The only 3D format that supports this is the 1080p Frame Packing format defined in the Blu-ray 3D and HDMI 1.4 specs and no current media player supports this. Thus the bottom line is you need to settle on a half resolution version (i.e., 1080v by 960h) using the side-by-side format with the current media players. The only exception would be to build a HTPC with the right video card and 3D ready software player that could support the Frame Packing format.

I also was looking to play some 3d content from a media player. That is what I do to play 1080p stuff... I decided to build a htpc a while ago to replace it and use a tv tuner and windows media center. I put a cheap card in there, geforce 220, and I think it has 2gb ram and a core 2 2.5ghz (e5300 or something). I was delighted to find out it could play 3d straight to my tv. I downloaded a trial of cyberlink's power DVD, and mounted the blu-ray iso using virtual clonedrive. Works great. Only issue is that the iso files are about 40gb each.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.