AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My requirements are to play HD videos from an external HDD, stream netflix, Pandora etc.. With the price of Bluray players coming down so sharply, and given that bluray players can do what I want to do plus play BDs, what am I missing by not buying a media player like a Roku XDs or AppleTV or WD Live Plus?

Thanks.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisbeautiful /forum/post/19571685

My requirements are to play HD videos from an external HDD, stream netflix, Pandora etc.. With the price of Bluray players coming down so sharply, and given that bluray players can do what I want to do plus play BDs, what am I missing by not buying a media player like a Roku XDs or AppleTV or WD Live Plus?

Thanks.

There are two big issues:

- most dedicated media players can play .iso/video_ts with menu ala DVD and none bluray can;

- most media players are DLNA/UPnP compliant and blurays, especially cheaper ones, missing it; combining media player with media server like Playon allows to play a lot. e.g., Hulu without Hulu Plus subscription, without waiting for manufacturer to incorporate that site into their interface; some blurays employ intermediate software to make them DLNA, e.g., Samsung using AllShare, but it's one more point of failure and there are reports of degrading quality.

Also I noticed, media player manufacturers are more adoptive to consumer demands than blurays.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts