AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any Media players that play .iso files that have a gigabit network card. I would like the oplay, but have been reading some posts about it not doing so well with .iso files...

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a WDTV Live that has a 10/100 NIC card hooked up to a Gigabit network and it plays BD ISO's fine. No menu support for ISO's, but I, personally, don't need or want them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Srry if im ignrant, but what does BD before iso mean? when you say "BD iso". I assume its the same as me. I just use software to rip to .iso files, put them on my HD. Right nw in my theatre room I use mytotaltheatre to play them, but wanted soething to play them in the kids play room. I just wasnt sure how well those players worked.

also, does a place like best buy sell the WDTV??

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The BD means a rip of a blu-ray disc (high definition HD). It sounds like you are making ISO files from standard DVD's. in either case a 100 NIC will work fine.

If you are going to have your files on the network then the standard WDTV will not work for you since you will need a network card. You will need the newer version so be careful when you are looking at them.

I have several of the Popcorn Hour A-100's and they all stream DVD ISO's fine with full menu support. Support for HD or blu-ray ISO's is a bit more complex.

Laters,

Jeff

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks for the info. So I found 2 of them. The one with the nic card is the nic card is the one I need. This is just for a kids room, and all the mvies will be standard def, so no need for BD stuff. In the theatre room im going to keep using my media server to play those..

Now to find pics of the interface on these. I would like to see it first.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wait one sec though. I don't think the WD Live boxes support the DVD Menu's on the ISO file.

Meaning if you select an ISO to play, it just automatically plays the largest file on the ISO. It does NOT load up the DVD menu as if it were a regular DVD.

Not sure if that is important or not but if it is, there are a ton of other players that DO load DVD ISO files with full DVD menu support.

I know BD Iso support isn't a big deal to you, but even so the list of players out there that support BD ISO's with the full BD Menu supported is very small. Like 3 total.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any chance you can name a few. The more i think about it, maybe I should invest in one that does BD also. $ really isnt an issue, just want to make sure I get the right thing.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezuma213 /forum/post/18294718

Is there any Media players that play .iso files that have a gigabit network card. I would like the oplay, but have been reading some posts about it not doing so well with .iso files...

I would take a hard look at the AC Ryan PlayonHD. It doesn't have a gigabit nic, but it does everything else you want better than almost any other player out there...and it plays .iso files with full menu support, unlike the wdtv. It also supports blu-ray iso, but with only lite menu support (for now). Plus you get internet radio, strong network support, can have an internal HHD for more storage...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Popcorn Hour a-200 running YAMJ.

I tried a patriot box office, WDTV, and then decided to stop messing around and just get the one I know works.

Put a 1.5tb hard drive in it, and loaded up all my SD DVD .iso's and it works great.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstroman /forum/post/18295656

I know BD Iso support isn't a big deal to you, but even so the list of players out there that support BD ISO's with the full BD Menu supported is very small. Like 3 total.

Can someone name the media players that give full menu support for dvd and BD iso's? Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo /forum/post/18300370

Can someone name the media players that give full menu support for dvd and BD iso's? Thanks.

Either of the Dune players can handle the full menu on the BD iso's

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dune Players can handle ISO with full menu support.

HDX-BD1 can handle ISO will full menu support.

I think the other is a TViX model or Popcorn Hour model. Not sure.

As far as a simple player that supports DVD iso with full menu support (but not BD iso with menu, only BD ISO playing the largest file) a very cheap but good model is the brite-View CinemaTube. It's $99 shipped. I've been very impressed with it and it also has network support.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrixguy /forum/post/18298025

I would take a hard look at the AC Ryan PlayonHD. It doesn't have a gigabit nic, but it does everything else you want better than almost any other player out there...and it plays .iso files with full menu support, unlike the wdtv. It also supports blu-ray iso, but with only lite menu support (for now). Plus you get internet radio, strong network support, can have an internal HHD for more storage...

I was looking at The AC Ryan player BUT can it bitstream DTS Master and Dolby True HD from a M2ts file?

can it use movie jukebox?

I am looking for a player that can do at least some limited Blu Ray iso and bitstream from m2ts

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis26 /forum/post/18298140

Popcorn Hour a-200 running YAMJ.

I tried a patriot box office, WDTV, and then decided to stop messing around and just get the one I know works.

Put a 1.5tb hard drive in it, and loaded up all my SD DVD .iso's and it works great.

I just checked the specs on Popcorn Hour A-200 and it looks really impressive and has a host of extras compared to WD TV Live for $ 50 more. (not to mention you can mount a HD right in it)

I am still not clear on whether it will offer full dvd menu support for SD dvd's and for BD .iso files.

Can someone please confirm this?

I thought i had found my player in WD TV live, but now with the lack of menu support, I need to look at other options and there's a ton of them out there. I am sick of researching now, just want to settle on something quickly.

Key requirement for me is that once I put SD dvd files on the Media Player, the wife should be able to find them without hassle and be able to play them without much fuss. I don't have any BD rips yet, but I am sure they are coming so would want to be able to access them the same way including the menus.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataphract /forum/post/18329225

I just checked the specs on Popcorn Hour A-200 and it looks really impressive and has a host of extras compared to WD TV Live for $ 50 more. (not to mention you can mount a HD right in it)

I am still not clear on whether it will offer full dvd menu support for SD dvd's and for BD .iso files.

Can someone please confirm this?

I thought i had found my player in WD TV live, but now with the lack of menu support, I need to look at other options and there's a ton of them out there. I am sick of researching now, just want to settle on something quickly.

Key requirement for me is that once I put SD dvd files on the Media Player, the wife should be able to find them without hassle and be able to play them without much fuss. I don't have any BD rips yet, but I am sure they are coming so would want to be able to access them the same way including the menus.

The A-200 does not offer full menu support for BD ISO's. The Popcorn Hour C-200 does but costs more than the A-200.

For what you're looking for the Dune 3.0 is the only way to go. Pricey, $350, but does everything well, right out of the box.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbanderic /forum/post/18329455

The A-200 does not offer full menu support for BD ISO's. The Popcorn Hour C-200 does but costs more than the A-200.

For what you're looking for the Dune 3.0 is the only way to go. Pricey, $350, but does everything well, right out of the box.

Thanks for confirming that for BD iso's. I am assuming it still supports SD iso's. Also, you mentioned it does not offer "full support", does this mean that it does offer some support but not full, meaning some type of way to access BD iso's? And will it do 1080P resolution? It is strange but they don't list that anywhere in the tech specs.

I just looked at Dune and seems like a great all in one type of product and there is one with the BD player built-in for $ 450. (this may work out great since I have yet to buy a BD player)

I guess its decision time, either go with a Sony BD player + PH A-200 ($ 380 total minus the BD iso support) or Dune Prime 3.0 for $ 450.

Which setup would have the most versatility and ease of use? Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataphract /forum/post/18329851

Thanks for confirming that for BD iso's. I am assuming it still supports SD iso's. Also, you mentioned it does not offer "full support", does this mean that it does offer some support but not full, meaning some type of way to access BD iso's? And will it do 1080P resolution? It is strange but they don't list that anywhere in the tech specs.

I just looked at Dune and seems like a great all in one type of product and there is one with the BD player built-in for $ 450. (this may work out great since I have yet to buy a BD player)

I guess its decision time, either go with a Sony BD player + PH A-200 ($ 380 total minus the BD iso support) or Dune Prime 3.0 for $ 450.

Which setup would have the most versatility and ease of use? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Personally, for the extra $70, I'd go with the "Dune Prime" with the built in Blu-ray player if you want to play discs as well. Then again, the reason most people buy media players is to move away from playing phsical discs, in that case the "Dune Base" (without the built in player) can be had for $350. Either option will do everything you want it to as far as functionality with both Blu-ray and DVD ISO's and Files.

The same can't be said for the A-200. As I said, the A-200 will not give you full BD menu support, you'll only get BD-lite, which essentially means that you'll only be able to play the main title (main movie), you won't be able to access the original menus, special features or bonus material. You will get full 1080p output. You'll also get full DVD menu support/functions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do these media players that handle .iso files also handle VIDEO_TS folders?

Will WD TV Live play the largest title set from a VIDEO_TS folder?

Does the Popcorn Hour give full menu support to a VIDEO_TS folder?

In this forum's opinion, what is the best media player for handling standard DVD rips? I really like how PLEX automatically finds the movie thumbnail for my DVD rips - any media player that has similar features?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyehill /forum/post/18381698

Do these media players that handle .iso files also handle VIDEO_TS folders?

Will WD TV Live play the largest title set from a VIDEO_TS folder?

Thanks!

Yes, but forget the WD Live if you have a lot of DVD rips.

I have 3 units and have come across numerous rips that drop the video for ~3-5 seconds during cell changes. If it happens it's mostly once or twice a movie, but can be more. I've tried all the current ripping programs in both .Iso & Video_TS, local & network and nothing fixes it. All 3 units will choke at the exact cell change everytime.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts