AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Long time lurker and sometime poster here...

I have been delving into a couple issues lately and hoping I found one of the answers.

Total newb here and by no means am I able to do all the things that most of you guys can.

I do not have an HTPC but I have my desktop running double duty, serving out some of the purposes that I need. It would require me buying a new PC with Media Center, to get what I want, but that is not in the works right now. In the interim, I have downloaded MediaPortal and have found it quite easy to navigate and set-up. I have told it all my file locations, and what programs I want to utilize on what preference.

I am, however having a hard time adding a new skin. Hopefully someone here can help.

I have followed their directions on installing the file in the skins folder, and when I physically open the folder, I see the file for the new skin. However, when I open the Mediaportal Config. I do not see the folder. When I use the installer, and choose install, it is looking for an mpi. file. which the folder does not contain...(that I have located).

Any one ever have this issue? I really hoped I would not need to join their forums to ask, but I will if I need to...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, did that, only the two original choices show up...Blue, and Blue wide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make sure when you extract the skin from the zip file you extract the correct folder from it, for example Monochrome's zip file will have a folder structure:

Monochrome ->

- Monochrome (This is the correct skin folder to copy to 'MediaPortal/Skins')

- Plugins (Copy these to 'MediaPortal/Plugins/Windows')

- etc

- etc

So it sounds like you've copied the whole folder with all the extras instead of the actual skin folder. (Hope that makes sense
)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the assist guys, It is the XBMC style, (not at home right now, can't remember the name). The first one in the 16:9 group.

bishyb,

I'm not quite sure what you are saying...it asks if you want to save or open the zip file...I have done it both ways open the zip and THEN extract...or SAVE the zip and THEN open and extract...either way, (that I can see) I am only asked the location once.

The whole folder is being placed in to the skins folder...Am I looking for a "plugins" extension to install, or copy to the "plugins" folder?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, thought that was bit too confusing...

So I'm guessing you're trying to use this skin then? - forum.team-mediaportal.com/aeon-274/aeon-wide-1366x768-40402/

If so download the zip file, just copy the 'Aeon Wide' folder from the zip to "c:/Program Files/Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal/Skins", then go into the Configuration, go to General->Skin and select Aeon Wide.

Try either Monochrome or Spinsafe skins if Aeon doesn't work...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's how I have been working it....the thing is Aeon (yes, that is the one...) is not selectable, doesn't even show up in the "General/skins" tab...

Aeon folder IS in MediaPortal/skins folder, but even using the installer, it does not show any .mpi files.

I "see" the folder in the installer, but the extension that the installer is looking for is not there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like you're getting a bit confused there with skins/installer etc.

The skin is just a .zip file and doesn't require anything to do with the MediaPortal plugin installer.

Check whats in the folder "C:/Program Files/Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal/Skins/Aeon Wide" as there should be lots of .xml files (see attached image).

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I got all that...either it's something simple, or something is getting lost in translation. Do you have your English to Cro-magnon Dictionary handy? For I am the quintessential caveman....

The installer is, as I understand it, just for plugins and peripherals...

I don't think I missed anything there....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definately something wrong here then...

I take it you've installed MediaPortal v1.0 RC2?

Have you tried any other 3rd-party skins to see if another skin will work? (Try Spinsafe 1080 or Xface)

And yes, MediaPortal's 'Installer' is just to install .mpi plugin files.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really appreciate all the help...Un-installing and deleting everything (again) as we speak... Going to do a fresh install again. No, I haven't tried to do any other skins. I am installing the actual program on my WD MyBook...It is running from there...I wonder if that has something to do with it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts