AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After reading through this forum I have decided to treat my room with acoustic panels. I am also looking to go the projector route so I'll be looking at getting a projector and screen in the next coming months

Here is some info on my setup:

Room Dimension: 21' (width) x 15' (length) x 9' (height)

NOTE: The stairs entryway takes up 3' from the width so actually only 18' of the room is usable for seating.

Viewing Distance: 13'

Projector Throw: ~14'

Projector Placement Height: ?

Home A/V Equipment:

Onkyo TX-SR805

Xbox 360

Wii

HTPC

Uverse STB

Speakers:

Elemental Designs A6.t Tower Speakers (L/R)

Elemental Designs A6.mtm (center channel)

Elemental Designs A4.b (Rear L/R)

My ceiling comes in a bit on the edges so my walls are actually 8' high with 9' measured at the center of the room.

I have attached a sketch and pictures of my setup. I will be initially be placing panels on the left and right walls at first. Then I'll be looking at placing some above the couch since my couch is very close to the wall. Any suggestions on setup, projector mount options, media rack changes, and screen size would be appreciated.

NOTE: I have pretty much all access to the room since it is surround by my attic. I have some difficulty getting to the very top of the room so I only have about 5' of wall height access.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Have you considered rotating the room 90 degrees clockwise? You could use blackout drapes and a dropdown screen over the windows or just plug them and use a fixed screen. I think your sound will be much improved with a symmetrical layout and getting your seating away from the wall.

Your Picassa link doesn't work.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew /forum/post/20894932

Have you considered rotating the room 90 degrees clockwise? You could use blackout drapes and a dropdown screen over the windows or just plug them and use a fixed screen. I think your sound will be much improved with a symmetrical layout and getting your seating away from the wall.

Your Picassa link doesn't work.

Sorry about the link.

That is a good suggestion. The only issue may be that the couches will not fit along that half wall. Currently the area on the left is stairs that lead up to the room. I'll need to take some measurements to see how things will fit. Wiring will definitely be easier as the projector will be mounted closer to the media closet.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Orienting the room the "long way" will also give you more options as far as projectors - otherwise you may either be limited in screen size or be limited to short throw projectors.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll need to see what the wife thinks of the idea. We mainly only want viewing for up to 4 people. I know for sure she doesn't want any type of stadium seating. Also I am looking to use the current sectional. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 /forum/post/0

I'll need to see what the wife thinks of the idea. We mainly only want viewing for up to 4 people. I know for sure she doesn't want any type of stadium seating. Also I am looking to use the current sectional. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

After doing some measurements the sectional won't fit on that side of the room. Guess I'll be sticking with a similar layout.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been reading that the Benq W6000 is quite flexible with mounting. I'd be looking to shelf mount the projector above the sectional. Ideally I'd like to get a 106" 16:9 screen and not have to do major mods to the current room.

NOTE: I've also adding a pic of the partial wall near the stairs to the first post.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 /forum/post/20894975

That is a good suggestion. The only issue may be that the couches will not fit along that half wall.

You need to get out of the mindset that a sofa has to go along a wall, put it in the middle of the room 12 ft form where you will be hanging a screen over the windows.

That leaves a 9x15 ft area for a desk, refreshment area or both.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20898722

You need to get out of the mindset that a sofa has to go along a wall, put it in the middle of the room 12 ft form where you will be hanging a screen over the windows.

That leaves a 9x15 ft area for a desk, refreshment area or both.

On a note is that 3' is taken up by the stairway so there is 18' of width in the room. Even placing the couches at 12' from the wall still leaves 6' of use.

That does bring up a good point. I guess I only thought of it a certain way. My main concern was it being too close to the restroom door. I'll do rearranging. I do like the idea and would love for it work if possible. The couch is 10' wide so does take up quite a bit of room. That still leaves a good amount of room. It is all about getting the wife on board in the end. Will be working on some frames over the long weekend so will post some pics of the work.

On a side note I did already move my kegerator towards the corner where the restroom door is. I should do the rearranging on my own before getting the wife approval

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am looking to build a proper media rack in the closet. I have been going through the "Show me your rack" thread and have come up with some ideas. I like these designs

Option #1

Link with more pics: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14975817

Option #2

Option #3

Here is the link for more images: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post16119200

I have access to the outside of the closet through the attic so I am trying to get ideas of what is "code" friendly. I was thinking of making some kind of panel that allows me access to the back of the rack through the attic. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As an update I believe I have finally convinced the wife to rotate the room 90 degrees. So by this change the could would be facing the windows. Does anyone have suggesions on a motorized screen that would work on a slanted ceiling or should I somehow plug the windows with something and use a fixed screen? The only issue with a fixed screen is that my windows have ledges on them and I do not want to mess with that.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally got the wife's approval to rotate the room 90 degrees clockwise. I'll be having the couches at about 15' from the wall. They will now be facing the windows. Now I need to figure out where to place my surrounds. Can someone suggest a mount for mine or should I just place them on shelves? Also by doing this setup I can move to 7.1 setup so will need 2 more rear surrounds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.