AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be remodeling a room in my townhouse basement to build a media room. The room is 11x20, but the actual space I may end up with is 11x16 due to keeping a large closet in the room. I want to keep this project's costs down as I'm expecting my first child soon and I had to fight the wife to be able to do this in the first place.

This area of the home has no windows. One of the 20 foot lengths is concrete block floor to ceiling. The 11 foot lengths are only partially block 3 feet up. On top of the block is a drywall firewall. I'm not sure exactly how thick, I'm assuming 5/8" drywall for a slow burn. When the basement rooms were finished out, a wall was built in front of the firewall so I already have that going for me. My plan is to get down to the studs because it's easier to rewire the room and a lot of patch work would need to be done anyways. The previous owners kids destroyed the drywall. It will just be faster to hang new drywall. I'm also not expecting to find much if any insulation so I'll be starting with a blank slate. The floor in this room is concrete and I plan to put carpet in.

Knowing that I essentially have a double wall already, is it worth spending the money on some of the more expensive sound proofing products out there (insulation). Depending on how much work it will be, I may install new ceiling joyces in between the old so that I'm not tied to the floor above. The goal is to mostly keep the sound from hitting the neighbors more than my own house. I know I can't stop it, but it will be better than what I have now. There's not much I can do about the air vents which will cause sound to travel throughout my own home. I currently have a cheap all in one 5.1 setup on the floor above and you can certainly hear that throughout the home. I can also hear the neighbors bass easily as well. I'm hoping with being in the basement I can enjoy the sound without worrying about being to obnoxious.

Is it worth putting an exterior door for the entry way into the media room? Due to airflow, the door may not get shut often.

Do I still want to double up on the drywall?

What are some cheaper alternatives to sound deadening insulation?

Thanks in advance.

Edit, I should have posted in the design forum!

·
Registered
10,868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitemikes  /t/1467785/media-room-sound-proofing#post_23190987

Knowing that I essentially have a double wall already, is it worth spending the money on some of the more expensive sound proofing products out there (insulation).

Insulation, yes. Expensive insulation, no. The cheap pink, fluffy stuff works just as well.
Quote:
Depending on how much work it will be, I may install new ceiling joists in between the old so that I'm not tied to the floor above. The goal is to mostly keep the sound from hitting the neighbors more than my own house. I know I can't stop it, but it will be better than what I have now.

Read the articles at thesoundproofingcompany and check out Ted's posts on all of these subjects. I'd contact them directly with a floorplan diagram to get advice on how to proceed.
Quote:
There's not much I can do about the air vents which will cause sound to travel throughout my own home.

Yes, there is. Search here for "dead vent" and there should be articles on the subject as well (see above).
Quote:
Is it worth putting an exterior door for the entry way into the media room? Due to airflow, the door may not get shut often.

Doors are a big weak spot, so do anything here you can. But more importantly, you absolutely need to think about airflow - there needs to be a return in the room. HVAC concerns should be high on anyone's list when creating a theater space, as it's one of the major differences from other rooms in the house.

(and yes, ask the mods to move this thread to the Dedicated Theater forum, as that's where it belongs)

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.