AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been lurking on here for a while but as I have started finishing my basement, I decided it was about time to get registered on here.

As part of finishing the basement, I have dedicated a 14'7"w x 28'L section for a media room. My goal for the room is not to have an air tight/sound proof 100% dedicated theater but however have a more open floor plan media room where we can watch the Sony HS20 projector while playing pool in the next room for example. To accomplish this, the entry way into the media room measures approximately 8 ft wide.

Anyways to the point... I am just about complete with the framing of the basement and am revisiting my original plans and wanted to get some opinions on how to proceed when it comes to drywall and wall treatments. My original plans included using resilient channel on all wall surfaces with a double layer of drywall and a rigid fiberglass/GOM combo on top of that. I am now thinking that at least the resilient channel is overkill since there is a huge "hole" in the entry way to the to the room for sound to escape the room. My thinking was to Deaden the room somewhat with the double drywall and rigid fiberglass but for the most part, My wife and I dont see sound leak as a too big of an issue. I appreciate any feedback anybody might have. Thanks!

One more thing, I have done searches etc looking for some viewpoints on how to proceed but I have had some issues finding wall treatment ideas on a more informal media room with the large entryway vs a dedicated theater. Thanks Again.

· Registered
7,656 Posts
If it's not:

1. A sealed, dedicated space.

2. An issue with having sound isolation

RC is a waste of time and money. Might not even need double drywall. A single layer will act as more of a bass absorber than a double layer.

Simple advice.

Build the room sans treatments. Measure it's performance. Treat it accordingly.

· Registered
892 Posts
V10EATER: sounds like you are at about the same point as me, have the same setup as me, live near me, and by your username like cars like me.

Enjoying your HS20, I went with the same projector and love it.

I went with insulation (inwall) and regular one layer of drywall. Wasn't super worried about having a perfectly sound tight recording studio type feel. Just the insulation and drywall has MAJORLY cut down on sound traveling upstairs.

· Registered
651 Posts
I'm remodeling our family room as part-time theater. The room is centrally located in our house, with large openings to kitchen and foyer. Sound deadening is not an option here.

However, I will be doing fiberglass & GOM, primarily for sound quality issues, to get rid of first reflections, etc.

See link below for details.

· Registered
255 Posts
I dont have any advice or suggestions on your topic but I see there are a few of us who live in a close vicinity. Perhaps one day we might get to check out and enjoy one anothers theates.

Regards,

David White

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. They reinforce the way I was leaning as far as the RC goes.

R_Willis: Check, Check, and Check ;) I think you are a just a bit ahead of me as far as progress goes. From your pics, it does look like we have a very similar design/layout as well. And yes you hit the nail on the head with the love of cars thing. Hopefully after I get this basement done, I can get back to my first love, cars. The HS20 has been an awesome projecter even working in sideshot mode in the family room.

Thanks for the imput.

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.