AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a Yamaha HTR6090B receiver with a 1080P HDTV. I want to add an enexoensive media server to it all. Can some one point me in the right direction? Also, would it be easier to network to a computer to act as the media server and if so, how?

Thanks

David

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
There are a number of ways to get networked music. I will not address networked video as I am not familiar with it.

1) Hook a PC directly to your receiver; I would peruse the HTPC forums as the other poster mentioned if this is an option you are interested in

2) Get something like a squeezebox

3) Use an airport express to stream your music wirelessy from iTunes (running on any computer on the network) to your receiver

I use option 3. It's cheap and fairly reliable

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/0

There are a number of ways to get networked music. I will not address networked video as I am not familiar with it.

1) Hook a PC directly to your receiver; I would peruse the HTPC forums as the other poster mentioned if this is an option you are interested in

2) Get something like a squeezebox

3) Use an airport express to stream your music wirelessy from iTunes (running on any computer on the network) to your receiver

I use option 3. It's cheap and fairly reliable

There is even cheaper option that #3, which I use. Two minor things - it is not wireless and also it is limited to 5.1

I have a laptop computer, but no good sound card, so I bought one of the external sound card (USB) for about $40 and it works beautifully. I have the sound card connected to my laptop using USB 2.0 and Sound card to the receiver using optical cable. I use iTunes for storing and playing all my music (ripped in Apple lossless format).

This is what I use (price is now $50)
http://www.buy.com/prod/Creative_USB.../10381394.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.