AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question that I need help with. I was planning on building a HTPC but then I began reading about a Media Server and was wondering what would be the best option? I would like to Rip both HD-DVD, Blu Ray and SDVD so I could access all my media from one source. I have a couple of Duo players and an XBOX HD Player and a Toshiba Player but I figure getting all my media in one space would be the most practical. Any suggestions? And is it even practical to stream HD movies to my laptop to use on my projector or can I hook up the Server directly to the projector? And what would be the best program to rip the disks? I really just want a convenient, easy source to play my media. Also, could I just rip the movies and not all the extras to save on space? Sorry for all the questions but although I consider myself Knowledgeable on Home Theater, this is an area I am just dipping my feet into.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelenor /forum/post/18200997

I have a quick question that I need help with. I was planning on building a HTPC but then I began reading about a Media Server and was wondering what would be the best option? I would like to Rip both HD-DVD, Blu Ray and SDVD so I could access all my media from one source. I have a couple of Duo players and an XBOX HD Player and a Toshiba Player but I figure getting all my media in one space would be the most practical. Any suggestions? And is it even practical to stream HD movies to my laptop to use on my projector or can I hook up the Server directly to the projector? And what would be the best program to rip the disks? I really just want a convenient, easy source to play my media. Also, could I just rip the movies and not all the extras to save on space? Sorry for all the questions but although I consider myself Knowledgeable on Home Theater, this is an area I am just dipping my feet into.

Having a media server is the way to go IMHO. As far as the server itself, there is an abundant amount of information in the Media Server thread in the forum (so many configurations). As far as streaming to your laptop that shouldn't be an issue as long as your laptop can play HD video.

Many here us a combination of AnyDVD HD and Clown BD to rip BR/HD-DVD main movies only into ISO format and DVD Shrink to rip SD-DVD main movies.

One suggestion I have is to setup a streamlined HTPC for your projector and use your laptop for other TVs in the house. One issue you will have with the laptop is that you will have to use VGA instead of HDMI (it may not be in your setup). I didn't use VGA because I wanted to get the HD audio formats to my receiver for 7.1/6.1/5.1 playback.

On the server, there will be many that will say RAID is not necessary (which it is not), but going the RAID route in my opinion has saved me a ton of time and made setting up my server a breeze. If you do decide the server is an option, get a true server chassis. Once you start ripping all of your content, you will see that you will need the storage fast. I think you can get ~30-40 BR movies per terabyte (don't quote me).

As far a GUI for your collection, I am currently using MyMovies 3.12 with W7MC. You most definitely want o go the W7MC route regardless if you chose MyMovies/MediaBrowser, etc. Not trying to self promote, but here is a link to the server I recently built: My Server Build Log .

Hopefully this will help you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thanks for all the great info and recommendations. I do have another question, two actually. What format should I rip my S-DVD and would it be easier to buy one of HP's smart media servers and just add HD's to it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts