AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages for my Media Server. I will be building it mainly for my CD collection. Right now I'm thinking of using a Linux variant with Samba to serve APE encoded files.

But then I recently got to thinking. My current 'media server' is actually just a partition on my main workstation with my CD collection ripped to 160k bitrate MP3. One of the cool things about this setup is that I can run an FTP server, and if I'm at work and want to hear some songs I have at home, I can FTP in and grab them. With APE, the file size increases quite a bit so this becomes less of an ideal situation.

So this lead me to thinking if there was something out there to do this: allow a client to login and browse the APE collection via HTTP, select some songs to download, automatically encode the tracks to the MP3 specs the client requests, and send the files.

I know something like this should be possible with scripting, because I have an Easynews account, and it lets you decode and package usenet binaries for download through an HTML interface.

But before I set off on the long and painful process of reattaining my scripting skills (which were meager to begin with), I thought I would check to see if there is already a solution for this. I really don't want to lose the ability to grab songs remotely.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.