AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the planning stages of building a media server and have a question about power consumption. Right now I'm looking at a machine that's going to have 8 hard drives in it. All those hard drives running simultaneously is sure to use a fair amount of electricity. Obviously, watching one ripped DVD doesn't require the other drives to be in use. Is it possible to have separate drives come out of standby only when needed, or must all the drives be brought out of standby simultaneously? I know on my current office machine, which has two hard drives installed, there doesn't seem to be any type of individual drive control. I'd like to be able to power up only the main drive with the OS and the drive containing the movie in use, letting the others remain in standby until called upon. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody know if this is possible?

What about using a bunch of FireWire or USB drives? Could they be controlled individually?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hmm...

Have you ever heard of Raid?

I speak as someone who's had to return 5 drives to WD in the last year.

With 8 drives, I suggest you save yourself the hassle and go with Raid.

I personally turn my media server off when not in use.

To answer your question, for the most part only the drives on the MB IDE bus have power management.

With 8 drives, you're bound need some kind of additional SATA/ATA controller, although some MB will let you connect at most 6 devices (4 ATA/2SATA) i.e. Asus P4B800. However, the most you'll be able to get is 4 or 5 extra drives on the MB controller (less boot and optical drives).

Lastly, although Firewire supports power management by itself (detects and resume from hibernation etc) , it will be up to the drive enclosure mfg. to somehow extend that to the drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.