AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be able to acquire a decommissioned server here at work. It's only a PII, though (450 MHz). It's a big beast, but has built in RAID and 6 30GB drives. I'm not sure it's worth the space it will take up for what amounts to 150 GB using RAID5. Is a PII enough to serve DVDs over a network? I assume it's plenty of power for audio files.

EDIT: Whoops, it's dual PIIs. Still not sure if it's worth lugging the big beast home. ;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Is it free? Probably worth it just for the case alone. You can probably upgrade the cpu's to the max that the motherboard supports and it wouldn't cost much. I doubt you'd have any problems file serving with dual PII anyways.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
if you just plan on serving the files and not streaming the video then the dual 450 is plenty...you will be limited by network speed/overhead and hd speed...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's free. I'm not sure how upgradable it is, it's a Dell PowerEdge 4300, a 6U or so rackmount beast. ;) I'll probably go ahead if I can find space and power for it. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't see why you would have any problems with that machine. *IF* you were able to generate enough disk/network activity to eat up one processor, you would still have another to handle all of the background tasks.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I agree it's probably worth it for the case and power supply as long as you can mount IDE disks in it. The CPU is enough for a home media server. All you need now is a 3Ware card and a bunch of big disks. Throw those 30GB drives away, or use as paper weights. They're not worth the electricity to keep them spinning. The only potential issue I see is drive mounting. If it came with SCSI hot swaps, then you'll need new drive carriers and the whole thing is not as attractive. However, I don't know anything about the actual layout of this Dell case.

- Mike

·
Registered
575 Posts
Go for it. Plenty to do the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.