AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help

I have a dedicated 7.1 theater I am in the process of setting up.

I currently have an hc-6800 projector but haven't decided on screen size yet but will be 100"+. currently using a ps3 for blu rays and games but plan on adding an oppo blu ray player as well. I am currently using the ps3 as a media server source as well. I also have two samsung un558000 tvs in the house that can accept dlna media servers to stream to them as well. I have a dual frequency router for the media but also plan on running cat6 lines for the gigabit network. Currently I am using an mac pro for media storage but with four hard drives full I am looking at going with a server.

I recently purchased a dual drive network media storage from one of the network companies but once getting it home and reading about it you can only run the drives as mirrors where I need them separate for the storage.

so back to the start again. I would like something that can handle at least 2 drives. preferable more and must have gigabit connection.

So to my question, Is there a good network storage that i can stream to everything? if so can you post some links to them as well as info.

Or do I go to a full blown server? I have a few older pc sitting around that i could load up with hard drives but I dont know much about servers. If that will be a better option I will spend the time and learn more about them. if the server is the way to go can someone post more info on them?

thanks so much for the info!

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlbol /forum/post/18312040

I need some help

I have a dedicated 7.1 theater I am in the process of setting up.

I currently have an hc-6800 projector but haven't decided on screen size yet but will be 100"+. currently using a ps3 for blu rays and games but plan on adding an oppo blu ray player as well. I am currently using the ps3 as a media server source as well. I also have two samsung un558000 tvs in the house that can accept dlna media servers to stream to them as well. I have a dual frequency router for the media but also plan on running cat6 lines for the gigabit network. Currently I am using an mac pro for media storage but with four hard drives full I am looking at going with a server.

I recently purchased a dual drive network media storage from one of the network companies but once getting it home and reading about it you can only run the drives as mirrors where I need them separate for the storage.

so back to the start again. I would like something that can handle at least 2 drives. preferable more and must have gigabit connection.

So to my question, Is there a good network storage that i can stream to everything? if so can you post some links to them as well as info.

Or do I go to a full blown server? I have a few older pc sitting around that i could load up with hard drives but I dont know much about servers. If that will be a better option I will spend the time and learn more about them. if the server is the way to go can someone post more info on them?

thanks so much for the info!

I use Windows Home Server to stream all my media throughout my house. I originally started out with the HP MediaSmart Server EX470 but recently built my own (currently at 16TB). I would recommend taking a look at the HP MediaSmart Servers (the current line being the EX490 and EX495). It comes with 4 bays (up to 8TB) plus you can attach separate enclosures as your needs grow. Search around if you want more information, but a great source regarding the MediaSmart Servers and Windows Home Server in general is www.mediasmartserver.net .

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
It seems to me that the MediaSmart server sounds like the way to go if you want the expandability and you can remote locate it in a storage room or something to keep the noise/heat out of your theater space while providing as much content as you can fit onto an expandable system... So, basically, limitless.

The media player is the crux of the issue. A PCH, Dune, or A.C. Ryan? Or something else? Which one delivers the true seamless interface with cover art and minimal user interaction to make it all happen?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Take a read of this thread when viewing HD material on a WHS machine. That was the only thing I ran into and both the problem and fix are in there.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.p...0entry80369?

Other than WHS there are a bunch of alternatives like FreeNAS or just put any linux distro on a box.

Highly recommend you build a box though as your options for changes are going to be much greater.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i use a HP mediasmart ex495 and a sans digital 5-bay esata enclosure with a total 9 x 2tb wd green drives... this along with a popcorn hour c-200 works great imo... would highly recommend...

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush78 /forum/post/18314939

i use a hp mediasmart ex495 and a sans digital 5-bay esata enclosure with a total 9 x 2tb wd green drives... This along with a popcorn hour c-200 works great imo... Would highly recommend...

+1

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated /forum/post/18314534

It seems to me that the MediaSmart server sounds like the way to go if you want the expandability and you can remote locate it in a storage room or something to keep the noise/heat out of your theater space while providing as much content as you can fit onto an expandable system... So, basically, limitless.

The media player is the crux of the issue. A PCH, Dune, or A.C. Ryan? Or something else? Which one delivers the true seamless interface with cover art and minimal user interaction to make it all happen?

Wouldn't bother with the AC Ryan, I would stick with either the Dune or PCH. ALso, I forgot to mention, the PopBox (same company as PCH) is due to be released by month end, and based on what has been previewed looks like could have the best stock UI of the bunch, including automatically grabbing metadata, etc... Won't know for sure though entire release.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts