AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have preferences, but not rules. I prefer 1080p unencoded video and lossless or high bit rate compressed audio. If the only format of a TV show that I have access to is 720p H.264, or I can only rip a move from DVD rather than Blu Ray, though, I'm still going to watch it ;). If I enjoy and want to rewatch a movie that I've ripped from DVD I'll be looking for a good deal to upgrade to the Blu Ray.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks,... that's exactly the type of discussion I was curious about. I've seen a couple of people mention they stopped watching DVDs which I find almost hard to imagine. (even though I own over a thousand blu rays and only at most 100 DVDs)

I think I'm going to put my DVDs, LDs, and other web videos onto a Plex server that existed in my house before I got my NAS and save the NAS for HD content and Music that's at least CD quality. I think I'll still be able to access the SD content but an advantage to organizing it like this is because the SD content is so much smaller it's no problem for me to make a full/identical backup. I think all my SD content will fit on a single 3GB external which I have 2 of. Edit - Another advantage of breaking them up this way is most of the house relies on wifi and the SD stuff can stream fine over wifi.

More rules I was thinking but forgot to mention...

3D or 2D only?
Home videos or just commercial media?
Pictures?...

I think my home movies and pictures are already better servered in the databases they are in... I don't have a way to access them in the HT actually but ... that's ok actually... I can watch dance recitals and look at pictures on computers and stuff.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have all my BD's on the server along with just a single DVD that the kid likes, lol. Movies are single M2TS with HD audio and concerts are MKV (for chapter support) with all available audio from the disc.

If you wanted to be able to see your pictures and home movies you could create a share where they are and then add them to Kodi and just browse them under files should the need arise.

Bill

·
Registered
13,347 Posts
Those with a media server, Do you have quality rules for the content or is it anything goes?
Kind of an odd question. Everybody has preferences and most people are not shy about voicing their preference. I'm sure some would like their preferences to be rules. :) In general peoples preferences will all depend of what level of quality below the original one can tolerate; what the equipment one is using for source playback, video display and audio; the quality of ones networking environment; how much storage one is willing to implement - and the big one, how much money one is willing to spend on expanding and upgrading their kit.

Ultimately, it is only a question you can answer for yourself based on an aggregation of the above factors for your situation.

Having said all that, my preferences for media on my servers:
  • BluRay & HD audio for movies
  • DVD for TV shows from disk
  • HDTV captures for TV shows recorded OTA
  • WAV or FLAC for CD audio
  • Original quality of all sources - no re-coding, no re-compression
  • No 3D
  • No Internet streaming
  • No Internet downloads of video or audio

I have twice as many DVD as I have BD -- TV shows generate a lot of disk images.

Reactions: Brian Hampton

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It is an odd question but for me a useful discussion.

I guess I almost had my own preference sorted but it's useful to bounce ideas off others.

I have a lot of kids DVDs and a lot of concert DVDs.

I think I'm really happy with my current decision which I made after starting this thread.

My NAS has all Blu and my music

A seperate computer elsewhere in the house has a Plex server with all "other" content including all DVD and my 2 laserdiscs and the odd video I can only find online ... that type stuff. All that stuff has no problem flying around via Wifi and can be viewed anywere in the house and all that is so far only half filling a single 3TB drive so it's easy to mirror that onto another 3TB drive that I already have.

The NAS doesn't get mirror-ed ... it has Raid 5 and I keep the discs as backup.

It's all complicated and simple... but I think this current set of "preferences" is going to work for me.

(Oh, and finally,... I don't keep local copies of any itunes movies or Ultraviolet stuff. I only have those due to buying the physical copies generally and I just have them all in the cloud for maybe playback when I travel or something.)

Edit = I don't have lots of TV shows but what I do have is about split between Blu and DVD.
-Brian

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I store all my content on an unraid server. I rip all my BD to MKV with the hidef audio track and subtitles; I have no use for the extras. Generally don't save TV recordings. I can count on one hand the number of DVDs I still have. I use Mediabrowser 3 Server for streaming to other devices (it works very well, BTW).

Willie

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
As long as the space is available, you might as well load up everything. Rules are for when you are running out of space and need to prioritize what will fit on the space available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am kind of a "anything goes" with my media server, mainly because I don't have a ton of content. I keep my music, mainly iTunes content on the server. In terms of video, I ripped all of my BD and DVDs and used HandBrake. For all of my BD stuff, I used the High Profile preset on HandBrake. That has become an issue for me in terms of streaming to different devices because it uses H.264 high @L4.1, some of the players can't handle a bitstream greater than 25Mbs (I have several movies that will peak in the 40s). But it works great most of the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts