AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of starting to configure HTPC1 and my media server now. Once we move into our new house I want to have a HTPC for every major room which is 3 bedrooms and 2 family areas. I have currently begun to rip my 400+ dvd collection to Harddrives and noticing that I will probably have to strip down to just movie and audio stream of choice.

I would like to keep DTS as the audio track on any movie that contains a DTS track. Now my question is has anyone with multiple clients had a problem watching a movie with a DTS stream if not outputting the audio to a DTS reciever. I believe some software players can decode DTS though I haven't tested this yet and just wanted to see if anyone else has run acroos this already.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I answered my own question or atleast partially. I installed myHTPC on my main PC and tried to run a movie in DTS and got no sound. So I guess I will just keep movies that have DTS in the original form and then strip down movies with only DD tracks.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I'm in the same boat...I've been shrinking my dvd's (with dvdshrink) by only ripping the movie and 1 audio track....Only 1 of my clients has a DTS receiver nearby (theater), so the other clients need a dd5.1 to downmix. I've been just choosing dd5.1 in that case, and if I want full dts sound in the theater, I just pop in the dvd (not as cool, but it works).

There ARE a couple of dvd filters that will decode DTS (I think). Check out the latest version of WinDVD platinum...I believe there is a DTS option available.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PowerDVD would play the audio in DTS however it wont convert it down to 2 channel, so unless I put NForce2 based boards in all htpc's guess I will have to stick to DD or keep the full movies for DTS. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The problem with the kaleidescape is that they don't have a DVI output, which is going to mean lower quality video on a digital display device (LCD, plasma, DLP).

DanW

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
From Kaleidescape's online FAQ:

"28. Does Kaleidescape support DVI?

The current Movie Player supports Component (YPbPr), S-Video, and Composite video outputs. Kaleidescape is developing a new version of the Movie Player that will include support for HDMI and DVI along with HDCP copy protection for HD content."

Additionally, for users who have the current version of the player, they will be able to upgrade to the new player once the new player is available.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well, then that begs a couple more questions, are they capbable of scaling to the native rate of the display? And if so, what algorithm are they using. BTW, thats new. Last time I looked at there website, it wasn't there.

DanW

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanW
Well, then that begs a couple more questions, are they capbable of scaling to the native rate of the display? And if so, what algorithm are they using. BTW, thats new. Last time I looked at there website, it wasn't there.

DanW
Unknown right now but I'm sure that info will become available when the new player's release approaches.

·
Registered
34 Posts
TheaterTek gives you the option to switch between AC-3 and DTS.

I've created a similiar setup. I have a media server in the garage with over 1 TB of storage where I keep my ripped dvds, music, and photos. I'm running DVDlobby and TheaterTek for DVD library browsing and playback. I just recently added an IPAQ to my collection of electronics and now I can browse for a movie to play from anywhere in the house. Turning on the TV and tuning the receiver to the proper inputs is still a manual process. But that's soon to change. I've got an USB-UIRT on order that will hopefully fix this problem. My ultimate goal is to select a movie to play from the IPAQ and have the TV and Receiver switch to the proper audio/video inputs.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I was just reading through there website again, and the more I look at it, it sounds like there is very little that can't already be done on a PC at a much lower price. They talk about the ability to "sort" by the actor, director, genre, or rating. Not, search, but sort. I can do that already with MyHTPC. It is probably more user friendly to set up. If they don't have your DVD in their system, they now allow you to add it in by UPC, and then wait until they get around to putting it in. If you want the cover image for such a disk, you have to send them the DVD. Thats probably more work then just scanning it. They probably have a much smaller database than DVD Profiler, since I would assume a much smaller user base. The only feature I could find that isn't really there for PCs is the integration of being able to use bookmarks between the players. I would also hope that their new players integrate gigabit ethernet, especially if they are serious about one day offering HD content. The current player is also doesn't offer 1080p as a possibility, and currently only puts out 480i or 480p, with the future promise of 720p and 1080i.

Of course the fact that you have an integrated, out of box, solution is of value to some people. So is the ability to call someone else and get them to maintain it for you. Its quite a markup for those features, but to each their own. The review they link to on their website says it costs "$27,000" for a "system". Their faq says that a "basic system" includes a recorder, a player and a server with 2 disks (1 usable, 1 parity). Oh, and it doesn't come with a remote.

DanW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.