AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any recommendations for media towers. I primarly want one for DVDs. VHS and CDs arent necesary, since I dont have much on VHS anymore and I have hardly any Cds (a total of 6) since I download most of my music. I have an el cheapo from Kmart that was $20 that I really hate. I dont want anything fancy, I would perfer Sauder, O'Sullivan or Busch since Ive delt with them a lot but I dont really care. I would like to keep the prince under $100 but I am willing to go higher if I have to. Thanks a lot, any and all help is appericated! :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I like the Boltz racks myself. Depending upon size, they may be over $100 though. They're metal though.

Are you looking for wood (or wood-like?)?

·
Registered
703 Posts
For that kind of money you are really looking at cheaply made stuff. I recomend you build your own. Much better value and the build quality is as good as you want to put into it.

I made a wall hanging DVD rack that can hold 250 or so, and now I have a home made cabinet that can hold about 700-750. Both are better than anything I could find for anywhere near the price of them (wall unit cost $70 and cabinet cost $350)

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesnt really matter if its metal or wood. Im not very handy woth wood, if my grandfather was still alive he would have build me a great on, as he build me an entertainment center about 10 years ago.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,883 Posts
I too am looking for a new CD/DVD cabinet. I'm looking for something in the quality range of the Salamander Media Storage products, but shorter (around 30" tall) and wider (around 45" wide) as I'd like to put the cabinet under a double window in my home theater room. Since my CD's and DVD's are multiplying like rabbits, I'd prefer to buy something than to have the delay of building it (I move very slowly on these sorts of projects). Within some amount of reason (I'd like to stay under $1000), price doesn't really matter. I don't have a strong preference for shelves or drawers - either solution is fine, but a door would be nice to help keep dust out.

Any help is appreciated,

·
Registered
198 Posts
just out of curiousity - why do you guys feel the need to actually rack-up essentially empty space? and for such egregious amounts of money (not counting the money already spent on acquiring the media to begin with)?

I am genuinely curious about this issue. I, for one, have gone the complete opposite route and have opted to collapse my media storage by dumping the keepcases/jewel cases...

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shadowpuppet
just out of curiousity - why do you guys feel the need to actually rack-up essentially empty space? and for such egregious amounts of money (not counting the money already spent on acquiring the media to begin with)?

I am genuinely curious about this issue. I, for one, have gone the complete opposite route and have opted to collapse my media storage by dumping the keepcases/jewel cases...
As to the money, I want a cabinet that blends in nicely with the rest of my furniture and quality furniture is expensive (unfortunately).

I find the keepcases/jewel cases are the way I prefer to browse through my collection. I don't like any of the alternatives I've come across so far. How exactly are you storing your collection? I'm certainly willing to consider other ideas though I'm leaning strongly in my current direction.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I used to have a Boltz rack too, but projecting forwards based on my rate of media acquisition, I just found it to be untenable in the long run. I'd rather spend that money on getting more titles :D

As an alternative, I decided to try out this sleeving system from a company called DiscSox ( http://www.discsox.com ). Granted, while not as sexy as a media display rack or shelving unit, it does fit the bill quite nicely.

I sleeve the discs, and instead of using the flip-tray they have, I used tin photo-boxes from Cost Plus (they have a nice label window on the front) and store about 75 or so discs in one tin (standing up, just like the discsox photos). I simply sorted them alphabetically for easy location.

I find it a better method than using those CD booklets (or DVD booklets) since I get to keep the artwork. As for where I then store these photo-tins full of DVDs, I shelve them (yes, it still ultimately comes back to shelves) in this narrow hallway linen cabinet. They fit perfectly and will allow me to store at least a thousand titles in a space that would normally only handle 200 or so.

Don't get me wrong, I like sexy racks too (as mentioned, I DID get myself one of those larger Boltz racks). I just found it too expensive to keep getting more racks as the media selection increased.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not really of the same subject, but I am looking for some speaker stands for behind my couch. I cant place them on the wall, so I am looking for stands. Anybody have any suggestions???

Thanks much.

Ron

(URL would be appreciated)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.