AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Popcorn Hour A-110 and a WD TV Live both wired into my router. My media (mostly DivX/avi/mkv) is stored on the internal 1TB HDD of the PCH, which plays quite nicely with the WD TV in the other room. I am adding a another TV in a 3rd room which is upstairs so will need to be wireless. While researching the new media streamer options that are available, I noticed that some Bluray players (such as the LG BD570) will stream media wirelessly over a network. I saw the 570 at best buy for $130. Basically, my question is this: what will media streamers do that the 570 won't do? Why would anyone pay $100 for a WD TV plus a $20 wifi dongle, when you can basically get bluray functionality for the same price? I feel like I'm missing something.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
A quick glance at it looks favorable. If it has the features you want, then go for it.

Plus LG brand players usually offer Vudu service too.

However, I doubt that it will have a lot of support for playing local content on your LAN. (I haven't looked at it in depth to know for sure.)

Please keep in mind that this is the streaming players forum. Where people are usually more interested in players that have support for streaming content via LAN (and usually aren't looking for disc drives.) If you go to the disc player forum, I'm sure there will be a good deal of talk about networked disc players.

-Suntan

·
Registered
349 Posts
The thing is media streamers like WDTV Live can be bought used for half the price or more they're all over the place; wi-fi dongles are just a few bucks new so it can be pretty cheap to go that route.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I posted in this forum instead of the blu-ray forum is that I am really more interested in comparing the streaming capabilities of a networked blu-ray (such as the LG BD570) to a similarly priced media streamer (like the WD TV). Is there really any reason the WD TV is better besides they might be a little cheaper if you buy a used one?

Again, I will be using it mostly for streaming DivX files over my LAN. I don't really have a need for streaming anything fancy like blu-ray iso's with menus and all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
IMHO the whole allure of media streamers IS for the fancy playback capabilities. It sounds like you don't need a media streamer and a basic Blu-Ray player which has MINIMAL streaming possibilities will work for you.

You won't be streaming Blu-Ray ISO's or Blu-Ray folders with that cheap BR unit, but it doesn't sound like that matters to you.

Go for it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Advantages of dedicated media player:

* Better aspect ratio/zoom control

* Better container/codec support

* Better UI (jukebox interface)

* Easy to take content with you (internal hard drive units)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for y'alls input. It sounds like the LG BD570 will meet most of my needs, so I'll probably try that route. I just hope it handles most of the codecs that are standard in the torrent world.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyderman3000 /forum/post/19599202

Thanks for y'alls input. It sounds like the LG BD570 will meet most of my needs, so I'll probably try that route. I just hope it handles most of the codecs that are standard in the torrent world.

Good luck with that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/0

Good luck with that!

What do you mean by that? Do you think there's a common codec it might have trouble with? The price went back up to $190 on the LG BD570, so I'm leaning more towards just getting another WDTV Live now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd be concerned that the BR player won't play nice with the content you have. Those manufacturers are very conservative when it comes to playing content that has even a questionable license.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott /forum/post/19603128

I'd be concerned that the BR player won't play nice with the content you have. Those manufacturers are very conservative when it comes to playing content that has even a questionable license.

That was my original concern, but the product specs, as well as quite a few Amazon reviews, seem to indicate that this particular blu-ray does play nice with divx, xvid, mkv, etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm in the same boat and have been looking for the best solution for my needs. These BR players will play MKVs, AVIs, et cetera, but not necessarily via a network connection, i.e., they will play from a USB stick or a DVD. I picked up a Sony BDP-s370 and its DLNA support is spotty at best with video. Audio and images seem to work fine, but videos are hit or miss.

I'm looking for a device that does both Blu-Ray and media streaming very well, but I don't know if one exists aside from a PS3, which I'm starting to lean toward.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah-yeah
I'm looking for a device that does both Blu-Ray and media streaming very well, but I don't know if one exists aside from a PS3, which I'm starting to lean toward.
Ha! That's a good one. If all these dedicated media players handled networked media as poorly as the PS3 the market would be over before it started.

Seriously though, the PS3 is a great BR player, but it is a very poor network player.

If you want a BR player that does good local media streaming, look at the Dune players that have BR drives.

-Suntan

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Was no brainier for me when I wanted to be able to provide access to my ripped media to guests - a Samsung BD-C5500 for $105. Got BR, Netflix, Hulu and streaming!

Admittedly the interface might not be the best out there but its proved robust for me.

Love it so much I have 6 players now for consitent playback around the house. Great WAF, KAF and GAF
and didn't hurt the bank too much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan
Ha! That's a good one. If all these dedicated media players handled networked media as poorly as the PS3 the market would be over before it started.

Seriously though, the PS3 is a great BR player, but it is a very poor network player.

If you want a BR player that does good local media streaming, look at the Dune players that have BR drives.

-Suntan
Thanks for the info. I had heard that the PS3 was good at streaming local media, but it sounds like I got some misinformation.

The Dunes look nice but are out of my price range. I had been thinking of getting an LG 570 as well, but didn't know how good its DLNA implementation is. I know that the DLNA server plays a part in how well the DLNA set up works, but so far Windows Media Player 11 and Serviio have produced similar disappointing results, so my guess is that my Sony is the weak link in the chain.

I'll tack another requirement onto the original question: which BR player is the best at streaming local content for $150 or less?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA
Was no brainier for me when I wanted to be able to provide access to my ripped media to guests - a Samsung BD-C5500 for $105. Got BR, Netflix, Hulu and streaming!

Admittedly the interface might not be the best out there but its proved robust for me.

Love it so much I have 6 players now for consitent playback around the house. Great WAF, KAF and GAF
and didn't hurt the bank too much.
What kind of streaming setup do you have with the c5500? This looks like a nice, affordable option. I wonder how it would do streaming DivX or mkv from the internal hard drive of my PCH A-110.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.