AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite media streaming device?

I've done a good amount of research on the WD HD TV Live Plus, Roku XDS, Boxee and even Google TV devices like that one by Logitech.

So far, I'm leaning towards the WD HD TV Live Plus.

My media streaming for the past 2 years was via PlayOn from my desktop PC in another room, allowing me to stream movies/tv/etc from my 2TB external hdd, plus watch Netflix, Revision 3, Hulu, Youtube and others.

My main desires are:

1) Ability to stream video/audio in most formats (.avi, .mpg, .mp4, .mkv, .mov to name a few) in HD and able to handle files larger than 2GB without shutter or choppiness.

2) Stream Netflix, YouTube are my main desires. I watch Revision 3, Hulu and others far less often, but they're nice additions.

3) Wifi capability (built in preferred)

4) Reasonably easy-to-use and attractive menu. This is a minor point compared to the other options I listed. I'm generally function-over-form, but my wife may use it sometimes also.

Main gripes about using PS3 as a media streamer:

1) Can't really handle video files larger than about 2GB. They're just too choppy to watch (and I am streaming from a fast desktop PC through my CAT6 home network). Internet speed is 18mbps (actual tested around 17.4), so that should not be an issue.

2) FF and RW is a joke. 1.5x is fine, but if you go to 10x or faster, it usually goes for a few frames and then locks-up. You have to exit out and repeat this process to get anywhere, but it's very annoying. This seems to be the case regardless if said file is 700MB, 1.2GB or 2.4GB.

3) Recent Firmware update added Cinavia, which prevents user from watching DVD or BR-ripped movies, even if they are movies I own that were ripped to the hdd for convenience. Very frustrating.

Any suggestions? Again, so far I'm leaning towards the WD HD TV Live Plus, as my friend has two of them and likes it. Another friend has a Roku box and likes that as well.

The reviews on Boxee that I've read are generally pretty poor...which is a shame, because I wanted to like it.

-Ryan

·
Registered
191 Posts
I strongly suggest you try the boxee in spite of what you've read. The problems are relatively minor and since you don't mention HD audio I think you'll be happy with it. It really is exactly what you're looking for. Try it and return it if you don't like it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
With what you are stating narrowed down to these two:

WDTV Live Plus

Boxee Box by D-Link

If you want internal HDD:

WDTV Live Hub

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/20823055

With what you are stating narrowed down to these two:

WDTV Live Plus

Boxee Box by D-Link

If you want internal HDD:

WDTV Live Hub

I agree you want a boxee.

The WAF on the WDTV Live+ is 0. Its a cool box for $90 but not a boxee box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.