Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updated 10-28-06:

The new URL for the mvpmc project (thanks to atlr):

http://www.mvpmc.org/

---------------------------

Original post:

I just noticed that there is a sourceforge project (new software for the Hauppauge MediaMVP) that looks like it might be able to serve directly as a ReplayTV thin client (no PC server necessary).

http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main

It looks like it is in the early stages of development, but seems to be able to play files off of a ReplayTV server. That would be very cool, since the MediaMVP is sub $100.

I am not at all involved in the project, just happened to stumble across it.

Sorry if this is old news, but it appears to be fairly recent work.....

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have a MediaMVP and it plays the MPEG's downloaded by DVA 3.1 just fine. I've heard that there should be a discrepency with audio but I haven't seen it yet. Does anyone know what conditions make the offset audio occur?

--

Daniel

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to this post, it appears that mvpmc is pretty close to being able to stream directly from a ReplayTV box.....

-------------------------------------

http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5551

Posted: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:38:01 +0000 Post subject:

I have added minimal support to mvpmc for connecting to a ReplayTV. I have tested it against DVArchive 3.1, and it works there. I've been told it does not work with series 5000 ReplayTVs, but I think it should work with the 4000 series.

If anyone is interested in extending this to make it work better, please let me know. I don't have a ReplayTV, so I won't be able to do much more than I have without help.

Jon

------------------------------------------------

Is there anyone here who could help out from the Replay side?

http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hmmm..... Isn't this were JeffD should jump in?

Regards,

Wayne

·
Registered
440 Posts
jastori:

Right now, going the XBox route is THE way to go ($ for $ vs. benefits).

Regards,

Wayne

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Wayne and MIS man... I think you guys really MIS the point that the MVP media player is good to go out of the box and is alot cheaper than a mod'd X box for most people.

Frankly, I spend so much time watching TV on my Replays that I don't have time to play video games and I already have all the DVD players I need.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
While I concur that the Xbox is the better all-around choice if you don't mind spending a little more time/money doing the mod or having it done for you, I understand the attractiveness of a more ready-to-go solution such as the MediaMVP. I would suggest to whomever is working on the RTV MediaMVP stuff to take a look at the ReplayTV module used in XBMC (libRTV.lib). It includes all the basics required for streaming from ReplayTVs and C++ source is right there on the XBMC SourceForge CVS...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello,

MediaMVP ReplayTV support is for real. I should know since I'm the developer ;-)

Been working on it for about 3 months now.

I've been holding off on announcing it since it's not quite ready for primetime.

What it does so far is:

-Runs SSDP discovery and discovers all replaytv's & dvarchives on the lan.

-If dvarchive is present it does enough handshaking to kick dvrachive into 5K mode.

-Once devices are discovered it presents a menu of devices to select.

-When a device is selected it pulls down the guide snapshot, parses it,

and displays a list of shows/episodes.

When a show is highlited all the movie/episode details are shown.

Selecting a show starts it playing.

You can presently pause, ffwd, and bring up an onscreen display while playing.

I only own RTV5K's so to work on 4K stuff I kicked dvarchive into 4k mode.

It seems to correctly parse a 4K guide from dvarchive but hasn't been tested with a real 4k

unit. (Anyone want to do some 4K testing?)

Major things missing:

-Parsing the .ndx file, and seeking. I hope to implement 28sec-fwd, 7sec-back, and

jump seek functionality by the end of this month.

-rtvlib functionality and menus to allow deleting a show & resuming play from the

last point viewed.

One last note is that mediamvp requires a dhcp server & tftpserver to boot the load.

Our development/build environment is linux based. I use my linux box to boot the mvp.

I understand there are some free windows based dhcp & tftp servers though for

those without a linux box.

Once I complete "Major things missing" I plan on creating mvpmc replaytv webpage

with configuration details, screen shots, etc... This will probably happen around early

Febuary.

Hopefully some of you will find it useful.

Regards,

John...

·
Registered
305 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by John Honeycutt

I only own RTV5K's so to work on 4K stuff I kicked dvarchive into 4k mode.

It seems to correctly parse a 4K guide from dvarchive but hasn't been tested with a real 4k

unit. (Anyone want to do some 4K testing?)

John Thank you for all of this work. I have two 4000 series, two 4500 series and DVA 3.1 running. I also own the Media MVP and have no use for it. I would like to be able to actually use my MediaMVP and would love to try your beta release and feedback my findings.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I agree. Congrats, John, on the work you've done so far. I may have to grab one of this units from ebay just to check it out.

Great contributions like this make all our Replays worth more!

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
John for your skipping (I don't know how the replay .ndx file works), but if you need help with indexing the file yourself let me know. I might be able to help out. (not that you couldn't but maybe you've got more important fish to fry).

Anyway, I just thought i'd offer up any help if you wanted any.

EDIT: After thinking about this I don't know if there's a way to do it without the .ndx file... I have to look into what the mediamvp project is doing.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
Wayne and MIS man... I think you guys really MIS the point that the MVP media player is good to go out of the box and is alot cheaper than a mod'd X box for most people.

Frankly, I spend so much time watching TV on my Replays that I don't have time to play video games and I already have all the DVD players I need.

Peter:

With a 14yr old and an 8yr old, a modded XBox w/XBMC is a neccesity. Once you've got one, it's a no brainer to use it as a thin client. The downside is that you actually have to get the kids to agree not to play games while you use it as a DVA client.

Having said that, I am looking forward to trying out John's RTV/MediaMVP. This seems to be a good/cheap solution.

Don't forget to check out the LinkPlayer2 as another good-looking possibility.

Regards,

Wayne

1 - 20 of 642 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.