AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone. I've been reading the AVS forum for a while looking for inspiration and advises... Now it's my turn to give back. Hopefully it will help someone somewhere.
I moved in my new house a year ago, we had a little budget for our media room. I bought all the gears/parts within a 6 months period waiting for the best price for each parts.
--- --- ---
VIZIO E700i-B3 70-Inch (1000$ during blackfriday)
2 x Klipsch Synergy F-30 (350$ both)
C-20 Center Speaker (180$)
S-20 Surround Speaker (175$)
Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 Subwoofer (taken from on old set)
Yamaha RX-V675 (380$)
HTPC (gaming and media) with Silverstone GD08B case running Windows 7 and Kodi with custom Ace Skin. (600$)
Logitech harmony one (150$)
Various cables from Amazon, Monoprice, newegg (50$)
Surge Protector, Outlet PowerCenter with Clean Power Stage 1 (40$)
Multiple fans for cooling and style :) (30$)
--- --- ---
I was able to do some modification while the house was under construction, which helped later on with the build-in for the receiver and HTPC. I added the "bar/gutter area" behind the family couch for drinks, remote and other. LED lights have been added behind the TV and inside the "bar" area.
At the end I have a nice media room/living room. Very easy to entertain and kids friendly.
The equipment is not the top of the top but with a small budget I manage to get a very enjoyable experience.
Thank for reading.
Pierre

Attachments

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Nice choice in wall and ceiling colors, although the beige carpet seems odd next to the charcoal grey.

What made you choose a TV over a projector ? You could have gone 120" with a Benq W1070 and been in the same $1000 budget. Or if you didn't have enough throw distance for the W1070 (10' lens to screen), then the W1080ST short throw version would easily have worked.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dreamer. I was debating in between tv and project. But at the same price point, I beleive the tv gives you a better picture quality. The projector gives you the wowow factor of the size, But i prefer quality over size, especially in my budget. Also my Boss (wife) wanted a more family friendly room, this is why the room is configured "large way" instead of "long way". So I only have 11 feet depth, and the slope of the ceiling coming down.
If I can, within a year or 2, I would like to turn the layout and get a projector, I would love to get the epson 5030...
Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any tips/construction pics for how you built the in wall rack?
Sure I can try to get some close up pics.
It's all made out of wall baseboard left over.
I used: nail guns, drywall screws, Small metal angles, wall baseboard, mdf board, paint, wood filer... I will provide more detail tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Hi Dreamer. I was debating in between tv and project. But at the same price point, I beleive the tv gives you a better picture quality. The projector gives you the wowow factor of the size, But i prefer quality over size, especially in my budget. Also my Boss (wife) wanted a more family friendly room, this is why the room is configured "large way" instead of "long way". So I only have 11 feet depth, and the slope of the ceiling coming down.
If I can, within a year or 2, I would like to turn the layout and get a projector, I would love to get the epson 5030...
Thanks for your comments.
Oriented the way you have it, headroom for a ceiling mounted projector would be a problem. I'd have probably gone with an end table between two of the sectional pieces with the projector stashed below it. I'm not sure why people think image quality of an LCD panel is better than modern projectors. Plasmas can be better but not LCDs. The biggest advantage of a flatscreen for a media room is people not walking through the lightpath and being able to play standup games without blocking the lightpath.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oriented the way you have it, headroom for a ceiling mounted projector would be a problem. I'd have probably gone with an end table between two of the sectional pieces with the projector stashed below it. I'm not sure why people think image quality of an LCD panel is better than modern projectors. Plasmas can be better but not LCDs. The biggest advantage of a flatscreen for a media room is people not walking through the lightpath and being able to play standup games without blocking the lightpath.
I have a friend who has a 4000$ projector (JVC I think) and a 1500$ screen. I think the quality is good but not great, maybe he needs to upgrade his screen to get the full effect. Based on my reading, Flat panel seems to have better quality. I am not a expert I just read around to get my own opinion. I am always open for additional input. Please feel free to share your experience. I saw a post with the Epson 5030 and a black diamond screen, the result seem to be amazing!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great job! I have a similar set up, room set up wise, I have a 65" Vizio M series TV, instead of a 70" Lately, I have been looking into replacing it with a projector and a 100" or 120" screen depending on the projector. I have more windows, but can still control them with curtains, but my main problem is that I still spend much of my time gaming. While I don't consider lag an issue as some of the models I have looked at are acceptable. My main problem is that the games I enjoy most when family come over are Wii games and Kinect games, and being in the light path would be a problem. Like your room, I cannot move the image higher because the wall is not more than 8 feet. If I want to go projector, I will have to move the consoles to another room, and dedicate the room for just movies. Not sure I want to do that either. Anyways, great job, enjoy!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any tips/construction pics for how you built the in wall rack?
Here some details about the rack. It's a long piece of wood cut to the size. Then I used some decorative baseboard for the front and the same baseboard for the bottom part. I used a nail gun to assemble everything.
For the long part I also added some L shape metal support (below the rack to the wall with screws, the bottom decorative board goes in front of the metal part that hooked to the wall, I cut a little gutter on the board so it sits flat on the wall).
The end part I just used the same baseboard and cut it for the finishing section. All of the parts are recycled parts from construction around me.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Great job! I have a similar set up, room set up wise, I have a 65" Vizio M series TV, instead of a 70" Lately, I have been looking into replacing it with a projector and a 100" or 120" screen depending on the projector. I have more windows, but can still control them with curtains, but my main problem is that I still spend much of my time gaming. While I don't consider lag an issue as some of the models I have looked at are acceptable. My main problem is that the games I enjoy most when family come over are Wii games and Kinect games, and being in the light path would be a problem. Like your room, I cannot move the image higher because the wall is not more than 8 feet. If I want to go projector, I will have to move the consoles to another room, and dedicate the room for just movies. Not sure I want to do that either. Anyways, great job, enjoy!
Yep, standup gaming is an issue with normal projectors. This is the most common reason to buy the Benq W1080ST rather than the W1070 -- the short throw lens allows the projector to be closer to the screen than the gamers so they are not standing in the light path.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Here some details about the rack. It's a long piece of wood cut to the size. Then I used some decorative baseboard for the front and the same baseboard for the bottom part. I used a nail gun to assemble everything.
For the long part I also added some L shape metal support (below the rack to the wall with screws, the bottom decorative board goes in front of the metal part that hooked to the wall, I cut a little gutter on the board so it sits flat on the wall).
The end part I just used the same baseboard and cut it for the finishing section. All of the parts are recycled parts from construction around me.
Thanks, it turned out very nice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yep, standup gaming is an issue with normal projectors. This is the most common reason to buy the Benq W1080ST rather than the W1070 -- the short throw lens allows the projector to be closer to the screen than the gamers so they are not standing in the light path.
I have looked very hard at the 1080ST, but to get the screen size I want, I would have to remove the ceiling fan. I cannot place the projector low because the furniture in the room, there is not enough room to move. The fan has to stay, this is the only upstairs room, with a two story vaulted entry and living room. All the hot air rises up into this room. While it does have its AC unit, the fan is necessary to keep the air circulating and cool. I could shorten the fan's height with a shorter pole and mount the projector lower from the ceiling behind it. I am seriously considering this with the W1070. Throw would be about 10.5 feet and I could get a 120" image. I am also considering a drop down screen just for watching movies, and keeping the TV in place for kinect and wii games.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have looked very hard at the 1080ST, but to get the screen size I want, I would have to remove the ceiling fan. I cannot place the projector low because the furniture in the room, there is not enough room to move. The fan has to stay, this is the only upstairs room, with a two story vaulted entry and living room. All the hot air rises up into this room. While it does have its AC unit, the fan is necessary to keep the air circulating and cool. I could shorten the fan's height with a shorter pole and mount the projector lower from the ceiling behind it. I am seriously considering this with the W1070. Throw would be about 10.5 feet and I could get a 120" image. I am also considering a drop down screen just for watching movies, and keeping the TV in place for kinect and wii games.
If you 10.5' to clear the fan blades on the rear, and if the fan is a 48" fan, you should be able to get 6.5' throw in front of it which would be a 130" screen for the W1080ST.

Or you could replace the fan blades with shorter blades. Or you could move the ceiling fan so it is offcenter. Or you could build a false beam running under the fan and mount a projector right under it if you wanted - which has the advantage of running electrical and HDMI cables just through your false beam and not an existing ceiling.. Or you could lose the ceiling fan and use an oscillating fan in a corner. Lots of possibilities.

Although if you do decide on a drop down screen, the short throw projectors get finicky with focus and alignment on anything but a fixed frame screen. The W1070 is more forgiving with a drop down screen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts