AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had the movie channels for very long and I was wondering if this movie has aired in HD previously? I am pretty sure that it has. What did you think of the PQ and what do you expect from tonight's (Monday the 19th) airing?

Also, I sure wish that I had a HD-DVR so that I could watch this "sans" the commercials. It seems as if the end of March will never get here (so that I can buy a HD Tivo).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Netflix has the AR listed as 1.85:1 for the DVD--- so we won't be subjected to horrible cropping at least. I've never seen the movie before on HDTV, hopefully it looks good.

-sketchy

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol at Gay Focker.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i thought i was the only one with the flashing problem. i even reinstalled my HDTuner drivers and also my radeon drivers. its too bad this happened tonite, but if i watched anymore i'd probably get a seizure.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
WTF! Why is ABC interrupting for the stupid damned Iowa Caucus. Can't they just run a banner...or better yet, not bother me with this.

ps. looks and sounds fine OTA from Baltmore

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
My abc on comcast (camden county, south jersey) is fine. I was talking to a friend over the phone while watching and he is having tons of breakup. He lives 10 minutes away in another county (gloucester county, south jersey) on comcast but a different system.

Just lovely that they interupt the movie with the Iowa crap. It wasn't bad enough to have commercials every 10 minutes, don't get me started on politics crap.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Flashing question :

I have had a HD plasma and high-def cable box for two weeks now and am still exploring the pleasures they provide. But, one thing I have noticed is occasional flashing on many of the digital channels, very subtle at times, almost as if the plasma is having trouble keeping up with the changes in light from scene to scene. I'm never really sure if it's a source or display problem, but the comment about flashing makes me suspect it's a signal glitch. Can anyone give me any info on what you mean by flashing and it's source ?

I started the film on CITY-TV High-Def in Toronto, but the surround sound kept distorting so I switched to an ABC feed but don't know where it originated. Both signals looked exactly the same, which I thought was terrific ( and interestingly, I noticed NO flashing for the entire feature. )

·
Registered
36 Posts
it looks to me that the flashing problem certainly came from the broadcast because right now i do not see any flashing from WABC-DT . this is the first time i have seen this "flashing". I use a computer monitor to watch OTA HD and i also thought my monitor had refresh rate problems. Its really hard how to interpret the flashes, but it was really quick and it happened every few seconds just like the other guy said. it certainly wasnt a signal problem because there was no skipping and the audio didnt drop out.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_R
WTF! Why is ABC interrupting for the stupid damned Iowa Caucus. Can't they just run a banner...or better yet, not bother me with this.

Well, it's called the Election. It's important to many people. It's news. It's what's important to the networks. BTW, movies on the networks are also interrupted by commercials. Movies on the network are usually cut and you don't see the entire movie anyway. The best way to avoid this is to watch the movie on a premium movie channel or get the DVD.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
Well, it's called the Election. It's important to many people. It's news. It's what's important to the networks. BTW, movies on the networks are also interrupted by commercials. Movies on the network are usually cut and you don't see the entire movie anyway. The best way to avoid this is to watch the movie on a premium movie channel or get the DVD.
I agree, BUT, the Iowa caucus is meaningless as EVERYONE knows.

To interrupt twice saying the same thing leaves me with ill will towards ABC. (Which, in and of itself, also is meaningless!)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bobbyhollywood
Flashing question :

I have had a HD plasma and high-def cable box for two weeks now and am still exploring the pleasures they provide.

I started the film on CITY-TV High-Def in Toronto, but the surround sound kept distorting so I switched to an ABC feed but don't know where it originated. Both signals looked exactly the same, which I thought was terrific ( and interestingly, I noticed NO flashing for the entire feature. )
The ABC (and other US network feeds) on Rogers are from Detroit.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_R
Slightly OT, but I have to commend CBS for the way they handled their caucus update. After returning from a commercial break, CSI:Miami was shown in SD. I figured it was a mistake but then the SD image reduced slightly in size and a CBS election update logo appeared on the left, and a message crawl indicated that Gephardt was quitting after finishing fourth. After the crawl finished, the SD picture smoothly faded out while the HD picture faded in. Very nicely done, CBS!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I love HD as much as anyone but find it pretty hard to resent a movie being interrupted with news of who may be running for the President. And as for the Iowa caucus being meaningless, this isn't a political forum but the Iowa caucus has a great deal to do with the nomination of a candidate as shown by the 10s of millions spent by the candidates. Obviously they don't think it's meaningless.

BTW the movie looked perfect here in California, no flashing or other problems.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
It isn't like we needed to know the Iowa results that instant. Not the most pressing news that couldn't wait until reading the paper during breakfast the next morning. I just shudder at the thought that Iowa is so important to our country. ;)

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
I watched all of "Meet the Parents" and CSI:Miami last night and didn't even hear about the Iowa results until this morning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.