AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done build threads before because I suck at it. I've also known that subwoofer manufacturers have read most of what we discuss in these forums over the years (several have told me, and it's only common sense) so I chose to keep some things less obvious.

With this thread, I've decided to have some fun, but it will be as time permits and I apologize in advance for being lame at this sort of thing.

1) Over the years I've had numerous requests to explain ThruVent Cooling. I will explain it in detail in this thread and answer any questions.

2) I thought it might be interesting to compare the Tumult MKI against the Tumult MKII when both are in the same environment with the same signal and in the same enclosure. This is a week or so out, but I'll post some results for discussion.

3) I recently finished 3 subs and I'm waiting for the glass tops, so I'll hold off talking about Driver-Vu until they're installed, at which time I'll post pics and details.

In the meanwhile...meet The Raven...

Tumult MKI vs Tumult MKII

ThruVent Cooling System (diagrams and full details coming)

Driver-Vu (design, materials and details of the advantages coming)

Bosso

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
That looks awesome! I can't wait to read the details.. and that vent and how it works.How long do we have to wait?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Is that an Aperiodic vent ?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Ok. I'll bite. Looks interesting.

Mike

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Bosso...I don't venture into this section often.....only did so now looking for Warpdrv's new subs.

Glad I came across your thread and looking forward to reading more!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Yeah, i'm pretty interested in your motor venting too.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
That's the highest level of DIY subwoofer I can think of. I'm very interested in hearing how you went about it?.. Just as much as the workings of the unit itself.

·
Premium Member
25,516 Posts
bosso,

Those are really gorgeous - kind of future-retro-modernistic or something; they keep you guessing, which adds to the allure.

Am I correct that a small part of the output is canceled because the pole vents are connected to the volume behind the dust caps?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Look at PC cooling. What provides the best results?

Also, look at the functionality of woofers at differing temperatures. Woofers are like car engines, they have a temperature range where they are most efficient.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINEARX /forum/post/15582319

Hmmmm . . . . . ? I thought for sure any new project of yours would involve one of the latest and greatest 18" drivers.

I've been commissioned to do the low end of a HT in Pittsburgh later this year and I'll use dual 18" versions there, but generally I find that the look of the increased box size (and the associated labor of a bigger enclosure) just isn't worth the output increase for most applications.

The M-X is a good driver. I didn't have to hear one to know that, I just can't design a sub for a driver that isn't readily available.

I've used some great overhungs in the subs I've built and sold (keeping the Tumults for myself) and have no problems getting them when I need them, but the Tumult/Brahma is a prime example of being burned after purchasing a dozen of them and engineering signal chain/enclosure/amplifier to them.

Other than the M-X, box is too big or increase in performance is not significant enough to justify the cost, IMO.

Bosso

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/15583158

bosso,

Those are really gorgeous - kind of future-retro-modernistic or something; they keep you guessing, which adds to the allure.

Am I correct that a small part of the output is canceled because the pole vents are connected to the volume behind the dust caps?

Not that I can detect (if I understand the question correctly). As long as the area of the combined holes in the pipe is greater than the pole vent hole area, there seems to be no added noise or loss of air flow from the motor into the box.

I've done more traditional versions. I'm working on one now and I'll post pics when it's finished so you can see what a difference some slight modifications to the trim parts can make.

Bosso

1 - 20 of 662 Posts