Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here goes.

First thing I'd like to say is that I am impressed that Hitachi has taken note of AVS and the higher end HT users and is working on things internally.

Hitachi would like me to express their gratitude for your input. They are looking into what they can do to improve the HT qualities on future projects. Before you can ask, I wouldn't be able to tell you of any future projects and as of right now I can honestly say without a doubt that Hitachi itself doesn't have any firm plans yet. Just ideas.

here is a list of things that I I mentioned to them to improve on any future model. They took notes.

HDCP on their DVI input

Calibrating closer to D65 or having a setting that would allow a user to do so

Pixel perfect for those wishing to do anamorphic 1024

Putting RGB gain controls on the regular menu

Aspect ratio control from the remote

12v trigger on the machine

1080i @ 50hz for those folks down under

Better deinterlacer for 1080i (they currently use Pixel works that focuses only on 480i signals)

Fan noise

Letting one of the 15pin connectors be switchable to ypbpr so they have two component inputs

Here is the part of why they came in the first place.

Hitachi has worked out a screw on attachment CC20-G filter for the machine. Form what I saw, the filter did take out the purple tint completely on the projector they brought (which was a worse case scenario machine that was VERY purple). This screw on devise would be able to be used with any kind of filter so it isn't limited to a green filter. After the filter was put on we changed the gain to -25 green and took a look at the blacks. Presto! problem solved. When we went to gray scale I noticed that the machine was now pushing Red so I had them try -10 red and ............ looked good. I didn't have filters to check everything out but I can say that it looked good eyeballing.

There is no time frame as to when Hitachi will have the attachment ready but I can say sooner rather than later.

Ok now hit me with all those questions

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
AJ, is this the same SX5500 which they have been selling for the last 6 months, or is this an "improved" version? If so, what are the improvements other than the new filter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
AJ,

Thank you for keeping us posted on your interactions with Hitachi. It is very much appreciated.

There is already a ~58 mm thread in the lens. Curious why they did not use that for a 58 mm filter?

Did you lower the green gain by lowering Green sub contrast from 0 to -25?

I know that I will need slightly more than a CC40 filter on my projector. Thus, I will have to live with a lumens rating of less than 900 (1500*0.6). Will Hitachi have no problem with this (it no longer would meet specs)?

Will Hitachi add the appropriate filter and re-calibrate the projectors as a warranty issue?

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same machine. Actually what I saw was a machine that was returned because of the purple push. The filter is just an attachemnt that they put on after showing the machine and the purple blacks.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the the green sub-contrast and the red sub-contrast. Hitachi understands that their will be a lumens decrease. This is just a help for those that have asked for it. Have no idea why they chose to do the filter this way. No they don't see it as a warranty issue because the machine was designed as a business machine that they purposely had running high blues (this is NOT a lamp issue, as they reminded me several times) for computer outputs (windows likes blue). Hitachi is deciding how they will go about recalibration as we speak. One of two solutions. Either they will do it under warranty or they will put out a paper how the end user can do it.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
There's only one thing the world wants to know.

When will they deliver a native 1920x1080 machine?

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol I asked the question. They honestly don't know themselves at this time. They do not produce the LCOS panel themselves so they are at the mercy of their supplier. I think everyone should give them Kudos for listening and trying to help the HT group.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Abrams
No they don't see it as a warranty issue because the machine was designed as a business machine that they purposely had running high blues (this is NOT a lamp issue, as they reminded me several times) for computer outputs (windows likes blue).
I am not sure that I understand this. Do they mean that the color temperature was set high (more blue at high intensities)?

Although a bit tricky, it may be possible to adjust for a lower temperature in the set-up menu by adjusting the gains and possibly gamma. Alternatively, it is relatively easy to adjust for those who use a HTPC.

What did they mean by "windows like blue"? Is the color temperature different on the different inputs?

I believe that the color temperature is independent of the purple blacks which are due to leakage of red and blue (usually more blue than red), clearly visible at low IREs. The leakage problem is due to the design of the prism/polarizer assembly.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I can answer all of that.

1 No the color temp was not set high

2. No this was done optically (on purpose from what I hear) so it is not a matter of adjusting it out. This is why no one has had success in doing so yet.

3. They mean that windows and other Microsoft software looks more dynamic when the projector is pushing blue. A lot of machines are set up this way, but it's the first time I had heard it was done optically.

4. According to Hitachi's senior engineer, it wasn't a design flaw but was done for a resaon. I don't know about the prism. But that might be the way they did it. Again just relaying what I was told.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's great that they listen to our wishes, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. The purple push is on purpose? That's even worse than a flaw - before I could at least wish for a perfect unit. I hope the screw on filter doesn't mean that they will be more reluctant to replace a bad unit...

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
AJ

Thanks for the follow up. At least there is a interim solution to the purple push issue.

Its still a great little projector.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Viking, not that I'm aware of. I can't see why you would be disappointed. Again, this was not a machine that was made for HT and this is not Marantz or another HT only company. I still think we should all be thankful that

A. they made this wonderful machine that works great

B. that their is a fix for the main complaint of the machine.

Most people are more than happy with the machine and the way Hitachi has responded to complaints.

There are still some machines that have more blue push than others and it's not even all people that even notice this. SXGA LCOS for under $6K that works very well. Hey even those 12K prokectors benifit from CC filters. No big deal.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dhenryp

Basic projector (or is it just arithmetic?) question: Based on this example and using the filtered projector to display 720 X 1280 pixels would the effective lumens be 592 (900 * 0.65 of total pixels used)?
Yes, you are right.

Each pixel gives you a constant light output so the fewer pixels, the lower the total (integrated) light output.

The total lumens will depend on the filter you need to use, which in turn depends on how much light leakage you have.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe I'm wrong...But my understanding is that a projector lumem rating has little to do with what aspect ratio it is in (common myth). Lumen measurments are at a point not across the entire 4:3 image. (that is why they give a ratio of how much brightness is carried to the edges of the screen or uniformity of brightness.) And I have never seen a drecreased lumen output when switching form 4:3 to 16:9. Overall reflected brightness from the image will degrease because the overall area decreases but not the actual brightness of any point on the screen. In other words, the bright blue sky in a scene isn't any less bright because you aren't using the entire panel. Think about it.

edit. I should clarify. Think about it this way. If you put a slide picture on the wall of a total blue sky, then masked off 40% of the image, the brightness ofwhat is left does not change. It's the same as it was before. The total reflected light is lower but not the actual brightness of the remaining image.

·
Registered
246 Posts
AJ,

If you take your full image and cover 99% of it with black felt, I believe that the total (integrated) light will decrease. This is analogous to using a fewer number of pixels of what is available.

If the light path could be redesigned so that a smaller area of the LCOS chip is illuminated when switching from the native 4:3 to 16:9, the lumens would stay constant. Because in this case, the full output of the lamp is always captured. I am not sure if any projector can do this?

p.s. Note that the intensity (lumens/sq.feet) is constant when you switch from 4:3 to 16:9 (lower lumens and smaller area).

·
Registered
327 Posts
AJ,

Thanks for mentioning the concerns of the 'down under' mob. We often get overlooked.

dhenryp,

Not sure if the maths is completely precise but basically - yes. One of the attractions of the SX5500 is a slightly higher brightness than competing models such as the Sony VW11HT and Sanyo PLV60. However, when the Hitachi is used as though it had a fixed 16:9 panel, ie. for all anamorphic 16:9 material without use of a Panamorph, the brightness is roughly on a par with the Sony and Sanyo models - perhaps about 1100 Ansi Lumens.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
For those thinking of buying this projector but have reservations because of the blue push dont let that keep you from buying this unit.

I am very pickey and I am happy with this unit.

I ordered a 20cc green filter frpom a camera store and will have it tomorrow and will give the results.

This thing is the brightest projector I have seen in a long time. It looks very crt like because of its contrast ratio. I think it is brighter and has better blacks than the g15. Same high resolution panel so HD looks stunning on this unit.

There is also some interesting little tweeks about to come to market soon that support this unit.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pick a one inch portion of a floresent light fixture then mask off everything else around it. Did the light output at that spot change? No. . . the total light output of the light did, but not the intensity at that spot. Same thing with a projector. You will not see any decrease in lightout put of the image when going from 16:9 from 4:3. You will see the TOTAL light output change but not the intensity of the image itself. When we tell a customer that the lumens decrease they think we are telling them that the intensity of light (lumens/ft) changes. It doesn't and it makes them think that they will be viewing a dimer image and they won't. The total lumen out put changes because of less area, but that isn't anywhere near as important as the lumen/ft. which is what you are percieving as the brightness of the image at a given point.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.