AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I will try and keep this short. Recently I set up an HTPC to stream content through my home. Mainly streaming to PS3's around the house using Twonkey as the server software. Now, I should note that while I have good knowledge of PCs this was my first attempt at putting my "disc" content on a server.


I started simple with AnyDVD and Handbrake to rip DVD to MP4. It worked well and looked fine when streamed.


Then I moved to AnyDVD HD and Ripbot to rip Blu Ray to MP4. Again, the results were good and all streamed fine.


But, I wanted to try ripping BluRay bit for bit to retain the original quality. So, I have been using ClownBD for the last week or so to rip from disc to M2TS files. And yet again everything is fine.


Until.....I tried ripping National Treasure. Clown kept coming back with errors at various points. The disc is in great shape and plays fine so I was a bit confused. In my confusion I began to just check out the various files on the disc.


And..uh...I realized that the "stream" files on the disc are already in the MPEG-TS video format. So, for fun I tried a simple copy and past from the disc to the server and.....it copied fine, then streamed just fine and seemingly in full quality too.


So (man that was NOT as short as I wanted).....so have I been using all of these encoders for no reason at all? I realize going to MP4 did save space but for Clown in particular....could I have just skipped it altogether and just...copied and pasted file after file and get the same bit fer bit file?


Just curious if all the hours "encoding" was for basically nuthin when it comes to ClownBD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,501 Posts
You are right. if you want original quality, bit for bit, you just need to copy the file(s) to the server. Except "seemless branching" titles do not have just one big file for the movie, but many smaller ones. And they do not necessarily play in numeric order either. For such titles you do need to reauthor into one .m2ts file or copy the whole disc structure so that BD Players can read the playlist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts
The one benefit of using Clown_BD is you can still strip out some of the extra stuff that is in the m2ts file (such as extra audio tracks or subtitles that you don't need). Also, you will need to use a program like Clown_BD to handle Seamless Branch BluRays if you want to be left with a standalone m2ts.


As far as encoding, it really is a personal preference. There will always be quality loss. Now whether you will see any loss will depend on the person, the encoding settings used, users setup, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thats ...disappointing lol. Only because I spent so much time "making" M2TS files when...really..I did nuthin at all. Kinda funny I suppose. So, the file that can just be copied off the disc..what audio format is attached to it? The DTS-MAHD? Dolby Digital? Stereo? All of the above?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
If you loaded a decryption tool, copied the M2TS direct from the BD to the HDD, you just copied the original BD with all available audio/video (main movie), untouched, in all its glory, to your harddrive. This is my prefered method for BD backup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts
Another option is MKV and using a tool like MakeMKV to rip and you choose the video tracks you want, what audio tracks and subtitles you want and click a button and you're done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
The advantage of M2TS files over other formats is that as long as you don't want subtitles you can play them in WMC with just some codecs, no player is needed just AnyDVD HD. I use tsMuxeR to strip things out I don't want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
+1 for MakeMKV. Sounds like this will do exactly what you want, just leaving you with an MKV file instead of a M2TS file. I like MKVs better anyway, they have all the features of original, and are very flexible for playback on different media players (I use MPC-HC with FFDSHOW as my external decoder for everything).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger /forum/post/19612837


The advantage of M2TS files over other formats is that as long as you don't want subtitles you can play them in WMC with just some codecs, no player is needed just AnyDVD HD. I use tsMuxeR to strip things out I don't want.

How is this any different then an mkv? You can still play in WMC with just some codecs, same as m2ts. MKV is also more efficient with space
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Gates /forum/post/0



Well only difference that I can see (for me anyway) is that a PS3 (and other Players) will play M2TS easier than MKV. .....I think.

Yes, for ps3 m2ts works better. The only downside of standalone m2ts is that you lose chapter support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, another quick question. With some discs (HP Goblet of Fire, LotR Return of the King to name a couple)......I am unable to view the stream file off the disc.


Normally I pop in a disc, find the file (yeah normally the big one) and double click to view via Windows Media Player before copying it. The reason being, sometimes the clip will only play the audio, no video. if that is the case, then whether I copy it or use ClownBD or Ripbot, the file will still only play audio via WM Player and show as "corrupt data" on a PS3 or Blu Ray Player.


HOWEVER..if I play the file with VLC, it plays fine right off the disc. What is making this file so different? It still shows as an MPEG2-TS file and while it is big (30gb), I have other titles (Inglorious Basterds, Clear and Present Danger to name a couple) that are larger and play fine. What gives? (Disc is in pristine shape).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt /forum/post/19611741


+5 for ClownBD-

Rip to ISO and strip out all the junk in the process. Works flawlessly...

After its ripped to ISO, what player so you guys use to play the file back with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle
After its ripped to ISO, what player so you guys use to play the file back with?
If you are using WMC then either PDVD or TMT. XBMC and SageTV I believe supports BR Folder rips in their internal player (but only BDLite I think using libbluray). I assume you should also be able to use MPC HC (I have used it for Folder RIps but not if it was in an ISO)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Gates
So, another quick question. With some discs (HP Goblet of Fire, LotR Return of the King to name a couple)......I am unable to view the stream file off the disc.


Normally I pop in a disc, find the file (yeah normally the big one) and double click to view via Windows Media Player before copying it. The reason being, sometimes the clip will only play the audio, no video. if that is the case, then whether I copy it or use ClownBD or Ripbot, the file will still only play audio via WM Player and show as "corrupt data" on a PS3 or Blu Ray Player.


HOWEVER..if I play the file with VLC, it plays fine right off the disc. What is making this file so different? It still shows as an MPEG2-TS file and while it is big (30gb), I have other titles (Inglorious Basterds, Clear and Present Danger to name a couple) that are larger and play fine. What gives? (Disc is in pristine shape).
Most likely the files that do not play in WMP have VC1 video instead of AVC. If you installed a SVN release of MPC-Homcinema , that player will probably play the files just as VLC did. To playback the files in the Windows players will require codec installation and registry manipulation. The easiest (and safest, with no OS damage) way to achieve this is by installing the Win7codecs, selecting the SUGGESTED settings checkbox of the settings application, and on the MPG TAB , choose use the blu-ray splitter. Uninstallation of the Win7codecs (use the button on the Help TAB) will reset your entire system back to its default settings as if you had never installed the Win7codecs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 /forum/post/19618917


Most likely the files that do not play in WMP have VC1 video instead of AVC. If you installed a SVN release of MPC-Homcinema , that player will probably play the files just as VLC did. To playback the files in the Windows players will require codec installation and registry manipulation. The easiest (and safest, with no OS damage) way to achieve this is by installing the Win7codecs, selecting the SUGGESTED settings checkbox of the settings application, and on the MPG TAB , choose use the blu-ray splitter. Uninstallation of the Win7codecs (use the button on the Help TAB) will reset your entire system back to its default settings as if you had never installed the Win7codecs.

So then my next question is..what do I do to rip these movies? Clown just rips em to an audio only file.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Gates
So then my next question is..what do I do to rip these movies? Clown just rips em to an audio only file.
14 posts up


E D I T T E D


Even though I used a direct link to the actual post, i will copy/paste the text here

Quote:
If you loaded a decryption tool, copied the M2TS direct from the BD to the HDD, you just copied the original BD with all available audio/video (main movie), untouched, in all its glory, to your harddrive. This is my prefered method for BD backup.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top