AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprised there hasn't been any discussion on this here. In case you didn't know, Capcom is releasing a sequel to the original NES MegaMan games on the Wii Virtual Console -- and making it look and sound totally like one of the original NES games, i.e., 8-bit (presumably minus flicker and slowdown).

Now I personally love the idea, but frankly wonder if I'll really feel like playing a new NES game, as inspired as I find the concept. So what do you think? Is this a brilliant idea, the ultimate in retro gaming? Or a masked cost-cutting strategy shrewdly capitalizing on nostalgia? Or both?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lol, both no doubt. But it's very exciting as well...2D died WAY too early, and the next best thing to next gen 2D is 1st gen, I guess.

Can't wait for it!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I started to make a thread about this a few days ago, but I make too many of the threads so was saving some for others. lol

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I see 1 and 2 are coming to Wii Ware also. Not sure if I would buy them though since I have the anniversary collection.

I remember both of those games vividly. The first one I distinctly remember being stuck on the guts man stage for a while becuase of some big jump I couldn't quite make and I think I started thinking it couldn't be done and that there was some other way. lol That was when I was like 10 I think.

Then the second one I remember so well because I finished it when with my friend and the ending was interesting and funny in some ways.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am totally stoked about Mega Man 9! From what I seen thus far, it looks like the game is going to be great. Sometimes, a back to basics approach is the best way to reinvigorate a franchise, and Capcom is definitely kicking it old school. Of course, this is coming from a guy who thinks Mega Man 2 is one of the greatest games ever, so YMMV. I just got amyWii last week, so I'm definitely downloading this the day it is released!

Of course, I would also love to see a 3-D rendition of Mega Man that falls within the continuity of the original series. Mega Man Legends was a decent game, but it just wasn't as big a leap from 2-D to 3-D like Mario 64. Maybe if MM9 makes enough money, it will encourage Capcom to revive the "original" Mega Man franchise.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Mega Man 2 IS one of the greatest games ever. (oh wait I am supposed to be close minded to live up to insane people's comments. I forgot lol)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone else seen the "cover art" for this game yet? I'm at work so I can't access/link it, but if you're familiar with the groan-worthy cover art to the first few MegaMan games in the US, definitely hunt it down via Google or somesuch. It is worth its weight in ironic hilarity. They're really going whole hog with the "retro" thing for this one.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yep, the cover art for Mega Man was utterly horrible. A constipated-looking guy in el cheapo blue and yellow armor holding a blasternow that makes me want to buy a game! It's great that the Mega Man franchise has been so successful that Capcom can poke fun at itself. Is there any news of an expected release date in the US?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
high resolution. sure high by today's standards.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That's different art than the Mega Man I had. Can you believe that it's actually better?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
ha I don't know. But honestly the games were so fun thus why still today people get the 8-bit ones on virtual console. I would still probably rather play more of those old games than what comes out currently.

I need to check out VC because I haven't looked in a long time. I was kind of saving my credits for when guitar hero IV comes outt hough since you can use wii points for downloadable tracks.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
ebackhus - I don't know what region your cover is from, but the US cover is far, far more terrifying.

That's right. Mega Man is covered in yellow and holding a pistol!

·
Registered
378 Posts
NFL Blitz on the N64 was able to do 640x480, as was Perfect Dark when you used the expansion pack. I remember thinking those games looked AWESOME.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
There were a couple of high res games throughout the years, but they were distinctly in the minority, including N64 games. Which is why I said "most".

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Did anyone like Gumshoe? I liked that game.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts