AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
I looked at their website. It sounds like an omni-directional antenna. Because of the susecptability of DTV signal breakup due to multipath, I would guess it would not make a good DTV antenna. There are no polar plots of the antenna's characteristics on the website I looked at, so I just have to use their verbal descriptions to draw this conclusion.

You need a very directional antenna with a high front to back gain ratio to successfully tune digital channels without breakups. I would take my $30 and buy a Zenith Silver Sensor from buy.com

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've ordered a MegaWave and I'll let you know if it's any better than the rabbit ears I'm using now, at least for VHF reception. (The only DTV active in my area is on channel 4.)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Bundrick
I've ordered a MegaWave and I'll let you know if it's any better than the rabbit ears I'm using now, at least for VHF reception. (The only DTV active in my area is on channel 4.)
The Megawave antenna is a very flat response wideband dipole design. SWR is very low from channel 2-19. I have found this antenna to perform about as well as a Radio Shack 2-Bay bowtie at my location. Megawave is a very serious antenna design company and was commissioned to design a new generation indoor antenna by the NAB several years ago. I'm sure, if the engineers were designing an antenna, today, especially to deal with indoor DTV reception, they would probably go in a different direction.

Bottom line - my opinion - this antenna should perform at least as well as rabbit ears which have been tuned to the particular channel you need to watch.

By the way, as a VHF DTV indoor antenna, this one should be the way to go.

Bob

·
Registered
208 Posts
Speak of the devil, it arrived today. First thing I tried was NTSC reception on the kids VCR. All channels look good, even the high UHF ones which are usually the most snowy. Channel 64 still doesn't look all that great but it's because 64 is not running full power like the rest. Also, I can almost get a signal on two LPTV channels that are 10 and 20 miles away. I've been able to pull those in with a stronger picture using the Radio Shack double bowtie ovenrack thing before, but it had to be turned just right. I think the MegaWave is giving me a better picture on those high UHF channels than the double bowtie did. I wish I still had the double bowtie but I gave it to my sister to use at her new apartment while she waited for the cable guy to show up. I might have to get it back from her to compare.

Now on to the DTV setup, which is a HTPC with MyHD card. Survey says... Bzzzt!!! I can get a picture but it is prone to breakup. The signal meter shows nothing or only one dot out of the six or seven. With $5 rabbit ears tilted and pointed just the right way (one side pointed straight up, the other tilted about 45 degrees and pointing away from the direction of the tower location), the signal meter shows all dots except for the last.

I think that I'll stick with rabbit ears for DT channel 4 and I will take advantage of the MyHD card's second antenna input for a UHF antenna when the other DT channels come online. I'll try the MegaWave again but I doubt it will work, then I'll try the double bowtie. And if that doesn't do it, I'll go for the Silver Sensor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.