AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno if I understood the film correctly. What I got is that all that he had in his memento were are pigments from his crazy mind. He was making a memento of what he wants his life to be. So basically he's a crazy lunatic who's got short term memory problem. In an attempt to put together what his life was, he writes down events and information - mementos. The only problem is he is actually making up those stories as he puts them together. Is that it? Or is there something deeper than that which I failed to get?

Confused Ed

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) It's been a while, but he was the one that set himself up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't want to reveal anything. Instead, consider watching it a second or even a third time and you'll pick up a lot more. It's definitely one of the more original films to come out in recent years.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola Cereal
I don't want to reveal anything. Instead, consider watching it a second or even a third time and you'll pick up a lot more. It's definitely one of the more original films to come out in recent years.
Buy or rent the 2-disc deluxe edition. If you can figure out the deliberately-maddening menus (there are "cheat sheets" on the Internet), you can watch the movie in chronological order on disc 2 (but it lacks the 5.1 sound that is on the regular disc 1 version).

·
Registered
28,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenhand
What I got is that all that he had in his memento were are pigments from his crazy mind.
The black and the green were quite unflattering, but there was a shade of fuschia in there that was just spectacular.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
The black and the green were quite unflattering, but there was a shade of fuschia in there that was just spectacular.
Good one...

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenhand
I dunno if I understood the film correctly. What I got is that all that he had in his memento were are pigments from his crazy mind. He was making a memento of what he wants his life to be. So basically he's a crazy lunatic who's got short term memory problem. In an attempt to put together what his life was, he writes down events and information - mementos. The only problem is he is actually making up those stories as he puts them together. Is that it? Or is there something deeper than that which I failed to get?

Confused Ed
Yes, he puts them together to serve his own purpose.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) He has short term memory and leaves a clue for himself to update him to that point because he won't remember it. Knowing he won't remember, he leaves himself the version that he wasn't himself to remember.

The film is told in reverse which adds to the confusion but makes total sense and is quite awesome.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red
Yes, he puts them together to serve his own purpose.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) He has short term memory and leaves a clue for himself to update him to that point because he won't remember it. Knowing he won't remember, he leaves himself the version that he wasn't himself to remember.

The film is told in reverse which adds to the confusion but makes total sense and is quite awesome.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Yes, but again, he set himself up to kill the one character--the cop or whatever. He knew it was wrong, but also knew he wouldn're remember.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I stopped caring about (and even watching) the academy awards when this film wasn't even NOMINATED for best picture or best screenplay. It is truly one of the best films ever.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) take the whole experience and theme of this story and then remember the part where he looks at the bible and gives a chuckle---of course he's not only commenting on religion but it gets a nice little dig all by itself

loved this movie. it smacks of reality and how many people live their lives.

it is humanity and we all participate in similar ways (to varying degrees). :)

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun
I stopped caring about (and even watching) the academy awards when this film wasn't even NOMINATED for best picture or best screenplay. It is truly one of the best films ever.
Well prior to that I'd noticed that the nominated films are often very disappointing. I've always wondered if that was because of too high of expectations by the time I got around to watching the films, or if there's something more to it.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I loved "Memento". My wife disliked it as much as I liked it. I was surprised and she said she felt it was playing games and not being logical. I disagreed and told her I thought it was a very tight and genuinely well-done film. She suggested watching it again and we did. It's now one of her favorite films.

It really is a film that should be watched again. Even right after the first viewing. :D

Charlie Kaufman scripts are often good in the same way I found Memento to be good.

All the above is IMO, of course.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Has anybody watched the "corrected" chronological version and did it make what was going on clear? And yes, this was one of those films you found yourself talking about for days afterwards, if only trying to figure it out (not unlike "The Swimming Pool").

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Watched it, but it mostly made sense for me in reverse order too. However, the chronological version cleared up a couple things I didn't understand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.