AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in circuit city today and noticed these DVDs. Memorex Pro Gold DVD-R (and also pro gold CD-R) and was wondering if anybody has used them.

It says it is good for archiving important things and is supposed to last 100 years.

Has anybody used these? Are they any good or should I stick with the standard DVD-R and re-burn every few years?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfly502 /forum/post/12871560

I was in circuit city today and noticed these DVDs. Memorex Pro Gold DVD-R (and also pro gold CD-R) and was wondering if anybody has used them.

It says it is good for archiving important things and is supposed to last 100 years.

Has anybody used these? Are they any good or should I stick with the standard DVD-R and re-burn every few years?

If you have irreplaceable content you want to save, like photos, family films, etc., I would go with gold discs. But I would not use Memorex. They are made by others as well. We have discussed them, from various sources, in the "media deals" thread. Search it for more info.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc /forum/post/12872564

If you have irreplaceable content you want to save, like photos, family films, etc., I would go with gold discs. But I would not use Memorex.

Yeah, I have a real hard time thinking the Memorex disks might be good. I've never, ever seen a spindle of Memorex that's been any good - but a large part of that may be because I started avoiding them pretty early on.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I'll admit I am only parroting the opinion of Memowrecks I commonly see expressed here. It strikes me as possible that there is only one manufacturer of gold discs, so that Mobile Fidelity discs, Memorex, and the other brand mentioned in the media deals thread, (I forget the brand) may be all the same, and NOT made by Memorex, but by someone else. But, since there are alternatives, I wouldn't buy Memorex.

I do think using gold discs, with their superior, break-down resistant dye, is a good idea, for special content, difficult projects, etc. Of course, we won't be using them in 100 years, but it would be nice to be certain they will last 10-20, until we transfer them to a newer format. That seems to be a gamble, with ordinary discs. Some will make it, others won't, and may go bad tomorrow, not 5 years from now. If I switch from film, to digital photography, you can be certain I will use gold discs as a storage medium.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I want to correct my error - it was on pages 7 and 8 of the Disc fade is real thread that we discussed the gold discs, and the other brands are Mitsui and Mobile Fidelity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts