AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, the music industry adopted MicroSD for albums:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10047311-93.html

Now, several movie studios, including Warner and Paramount, have signed on for movies in memory card format, and a recently announced 2TB memory card makes it very attractive for media and data:

Movies in memory card format:
http://www.videobusiness.com/article....html?nid=2705
http://www.modsystems.com/solutions/vending.html

2TB SDXC Memory Card Announced:
http://i.gizmodo.com/5125341/new-sd-...2tb-capacities

The Question:

With shrinking hardware (ie, emerging handhelds, mids, netbooks, etc) begging for an ultraportable format and the trend toward insatiable demands for storage capacity into the terabytes, is this viable technology for both SD and HD in a market currently dominated by DVD, BD and downloads?

This naturally has implications for other formats, but please do not use this as a forum to attack any particular format.

UPDATE:

Article: "SD Cards Load Up":
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/ele...rds-load-14334

Article: "Sony Ericsson Pushes Content Sales Through Kiosks":
http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-so...hrough-kiosks/

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I don't necessarily have anything against memory cards as a format. I'm just very skeptical that we'll get the same quality as BD any time soon. They're not offering 20-40GB files because they take too long to download for most people.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The disk format concept is very well established. I am not sure whether or not the memory card format idea will become established or not, or what it will take to do so.

For the time being, this is SD ("standard definition") only so it is not much of a threat to Blu-ray. We will see how established it becomes.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geister /forum/post/15529214

First, the music industry adopted MicroSD for albums:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10047311-93.html

Technically it was only four labels that support SlotMusic and there is only a limited selection of artists whose music is available on it. Also it is hard to tell how well it is doing since they have not yet released any sales data for it.

Quote:

Now, several movie studios, including Warner and Paramount, have signed on for movies in SD memory card format,

2 of the 6 major studios have announced an agreement with Mod Systems but from the press release the agreement was made for an "inventory of standard definition titles". As mentioned this means that the thread does not belong in the HDTV Software section of the forum.

Quote:

With shrinking hardware (ie, emerging handhelds, mids, netbooks, etc) begging for an ultraportable format and the trend toward insatiable demands for storage capacity into the terabytes, is this viable technology in a market currently dominated by DVD, BD and downloads (ie, Apple; Amazon Unbox--advertising over 40,000 titles; Netflix....etc)?

For the portable market there is iTunes and other download services that offer standard definition movies and Blu-ray/DVD now has Digital Copy. There is a market for playing movies on portable devices but there are already several existing options for that. As such only time will tell how things will go with the Mod Systems kiosks.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I think a discussion on the viability of memory cards as a format unto itself is ripe for discussion. Just leave out any discussion of a format war. It seems there is some movement towards this technology and I for one wouldn't mind keeping abreast of any news on the subject. I welcome any tech that can be used for home theater and not use any moving parts. The goal of the end user should be to want to use the technology to deliver movies in hi-def and let companies know that anything less is not acceptable. After all, it moves us one step closer to the tech used in Star Trek with the plastic discs in the slots.
People need to remember that this is just another technology that companies are trying to develope in the hopes of making money. It shouldn't be too hard to have a civilized discussion on the merits of the tech. As far as being discussed in this forum and thread, since the slots are easily put in tv's it is not far fetched to think that in the near future all tv's could be equiped with the hardware to accept the cards in whatever form they take. And we should demand high-def as soon as possible.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Memory cards are currently at 32GB with 40/45 Mbps read/write speed.

The next step is obvious - 64GB cards. This exceeds the current storage of optical disc.

We are speculating about the future of HD movie delivery.

IMO - SD cards are the future. No more motor and moving media.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/15530300

You are in the wrong forum. See this locked thread for proof.

And yet, it doesn't stop them from coming out of the woodwork, does it? Agenda, anyone?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude /forum/post/15531043

With 16GB memory cards at affordable levels pirates will use them to share their rips. It will replace the DivX DVD player.

Cuurently they use DVD-9s. BD rips are aways about 7-8 GB. Sometimes they split the movies to 2 discs. Also, they don't use Divx DVD players, they use PS3s for Divx and AVCHD, and also 360s, PCs and laptops. So with memory cards not much will change.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

CPXM: New Security for High Definition video content protection.

If, and it is a BIG if, they come out with a truely secure method to put the movies on a card, every content provider would give it a serious look.

I do not have an agenda. I will continue to buy and rent blu-ray discs unless and until there is a better method to view. Convenience is very important to me. I do like the idea of movies on a card.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/15530300

You are in the wrong forum. See this locked thread for proof.

It seems to me that since this is about a type of " HDTV Software Media", it should be in the " HDTV Software Media" forum. That thread was about SD media only and not HDM.

My bet is that first SDXC are released they will only be about 500 GB, but will work their way up to 2 TB. Since a 500GB card and hold 10x what a BD-RE can hold and are much faster, a price point of $200 would be great.

Just think about it. All of LotR plus all the extras on one card!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Right now, a 32GB SD flash card retails for around $100-$140. So with an average of $120 per 32GB, a GB of flash memory runs around $3.75 per GB. Do the math, a 500 GB would cost around $1875. Actually probably more with the fact that smaller SD cards are actually cheaper per GB (a 16GB card retails around $30).

This delivery system is going to be very cost prohibitive for quite some time......

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Technically this is the "HDTV Software Media Forum" so ANYTHING that can be played on your HDTV goes in here. I don't see where it has to be high definition to be played on an HDTV. The majority of the world still plays 480p discs on their HDTV.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson /forum/post/15531568

Right now, a 32GB SD flash card retails for around $100-$140. So with an average of $120 per 32GB, a GB of flash memory runs around $3.75 per GB. Do the math, a 500 GB would cost around $1875. Actually probably more with the fact that smaller SD cards are actually cheaper per GB (a 16GB card retails around $30).

This delivery system is going to be very cost prohibitive for quite some time......

Again - you are using todays prices to forecast the future. No one other than professionals would pay that kind of money.

Sandisk packs 60, 120, 240 gigabytes into solid state flash drives

Quote:
by Doug Berger on Jan 8, 2009

This morning, Sandisk unveiled its latest and greatest in flash memory: 60GB, 120GB, and even 240GB solid state drives (SSD) to fuel new-age laptops. The drives are crammed into 2.5-inch and 1.8-inch bodies, and seem to have some great performance—200MB/sec read and 140MB/sec write.

Due out in the middle of 2009, the new 60GB, 120GB, and 240GB Sandisk SSD drives will sell for $149, $249, and $499 respectively
http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/commen...-flash-drives/

And I guarantee you that these new cards will start at 64GB. Moores Law is definitely applicable here.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/15529420

To date...Vaporware

It is only a matter of time before the memory gets small enough and cheap enough that disks will be irrelevant. Panasonic has been selling pro HD cameras with only card based memory for some time. They keep getting more capacity and lower prices.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe /forum/post/15531626

Technically this is the "HDTV Software Media Forum" so ANYTHING that can be played on your HDTV goes in here. I don't see where it has to be high definition to be played on an HDTV. The majority of the world still plays 480p discs on their HDTV.

Using your logic in regards to the topics that can be discussed in this forum, VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, VCD, youtube, etc can be discussed in this forum.

It seems you believe this is the "Miscellaneous formats viewable on HDTV" forum.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Lee, I know the prices will come down eventually, but you quoted this. Nice example of exactly what I was talking about. Thanks.

Quote:
by Doug Berger on Jan 8, 2009

This morning, Sandisk unveiled its latest and greatest in flash memory: 60GB, 120GB, and even 240GB solid state drives (SSD) to fuel new-age laptops. The drives are crammed into 2.5-inch and 1.8-inch bodies, and seem to have some great performance—200MB/sec read and 140MB/sec write.

Due out in the middle of 2009, the new 60GB, 120GB, and 240GB Sandisk SSD drives will sell for $149, $249, and $499 respectively

Should I edit my original post to show pricing of a 500GB SD card at $1000?

Also, "2.5-inch and 1.8-inch bodies"? So these will not work with existing card readers?

I will reiterate, this delivery system is going to be very cost prohibitive for quite some time......

1 - 20 of 460 Posts