AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you are trying to find the fastest memory cards for your Panasonic GH1s and 2's, as well as some other video camera's.

So, I recently placed an order from a major online retailer for 2 Sandisk 32GB SDHC Extreme III, 30MB/Sec memory cards.

The picture online showed the older style memory cards, without the HD Video, or UHS-I printed on the card, and that's what I wanted.

What I got, where the UHS-I, HD Video memory cards. I was pissed.

Now why??

Well, there is something that Sandisk probably does not want you to be aware of.

Their newer, Extreme SDHC UHS-I cards are slower, than the older Extreme III cards. And not by a little, but by a lot.

Keep in mind that UHS-I was developed to increase speed in devices capable of using this new feature/memory controller. I don't have one of those camera's. I also don't have USB 3.0-so this new feature is lost on me.

So, here's what I did; I decided to test the "new" cards, against an older, Sandisk 16GB Extreme III, 30MB/Sec card. And, just for fun, I also tested a much older Kingston 16GB Class 4 card.

The card reader was a newly bought Sandisk ImageMate(model 199A), which is optimized for reading Sandisk cards.

The computer is a PC running Vista 64.

I used Crystal Diskmark, as my bench test, running 5 tests, each with 100mb. Each card was formatted in the card reader with standard sectors in FAT32 before the test. I should also note, that my brand new card reader died, shortly after performing the tests-so it's being returned, as well as the "new" 32GB cards.

The results;
Sandisk 16GB Extreme III SDHC 30MB/sec card;

Sequential-Read=29.02MB/Sec Write=26.26MB/Sec

Sandisk 32GB Extreme SDHC UHS-I

Sequential-Read=20.89MB/Sec Write=19.41MB/Sec

Kingston 16GB Class 4 SDHC

Sequential-Read=20.90MB/Sec Write=12.28

And, just for fun, the read write speed of my SD800 Panasonic video camera, used as a memory card reader, with the 16GB ExtremeIII cards was; Read=16MB/Sec Write=14MB/sec.

So, why are the "new" memory cards not performing at 30MB/Second like the old cards?? Good question.

Why am I paying for the new UHS-I technology, when clearly, a Kingston Class 4 card is nearly the same speed, and I'm sure a Kingston Class 6 card would be identical.

Keep in mind that the class rating is a minimum, and it's normal for most cards to exceed this. Also keep in mind that USB2.0 is limited in it's speed as well.

I am returning the "new" Sandisk cards tomorrow, along with the broken memory card reader. I will probably purchase the cheapest class 10 cards I can find.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasuvideo /forum/post/20849541

I know some of you are trying to find the fastest memory cards for your Panasonic GH1s and 2's, as well as some other video camera's.

So, I recently placed an order from a major online retailer for 2 Sandisk 32GB SDHC Extreme III, 30MB/Sec memory cards.

The picture online showed the older style memory cards, without the HD Video, or UHS-I printed on the card, and that's what I wanted.

What I got, where the UHS-I, HD Video memory cards. I was pissed.

Now why??

Well, there is something that Sandisk probably does not want you to be aware of.

Their newer, Extreme SDHC UHS-I cards are slower, than the older Extreme III cards. And not by a little, but by a lot.

Keep in mind that UHS-I was developed to increase speed in devices capable of using this new feature/memory controller. I don't have one of those camera's. I also don't have USB 3.0-so this new feature is lost on me.

So, here's what I did; I decided to test the "new" cards, against an older, Sandisk 16GB Extreme III, 30MB/Sec card. And, just for fun, I also tested a much older Kingston 16GB Class 4 card.

The card reader was a newly bought Sandisk ImageMate(model 199A), which is optimized for reading Sandisk cards.

The computer is a PC running Vista 64.

I used Crystal Diskmark, as my bench test, running 5 tests, each with 100mb. Each card was formatted in the card reader with standard sectors in FAT32 before the test. I should also note, that my brand new card reader died, shortly after performing the tests-so it's being returned, as well as the "new" 32GB cards.

The results;
Sandisk 16GB Extreme III SDHC 30MB/sec card;

Sequential-Read=29.02MB/Sec Write=26.26MB/Sec

Sandisk 32GB Extreme SDHC UHS-I

Sequential-Read=20.89MB/Sec Write=19.41MB/Sec

Kingston 16GB Class 4 SDHC

Sequential-Read=20.90MB/Sec Write=12.28

And, just for fun, the read write speed of my SD800 Panasonic video camera, used as a memory card reader, with the 16GB ExtremeIII cards was; Read=16MB/Sec Write=14MB/sec.

So, why are the "new" memory cards not performing at 30MB/Second like the old cards?? Good question.

Why am I paying for the new UHS-I technology, when clearly, a Kingston Class 4 card is nearly the same speed, and I'm sure a Kingston Class 6 card would be identical.

Keep in mind that the class rating is a minimum, and it's normal for most cards to exceed this. Also keep in mind that USB2.0 is limited in it's speed as well.

I am returning the "new" Sandisk cards tomorrow, along with the broken memory card reader. I will probably purchase the cheapest class 10 cards I can find.

This info was available on this board already.. minus these tests...

Essentially it has come down to the Class 4 or 6 cards being plenty fast enough for HD Video.

On the other hand.. my understanding is that the Hi-Speed Continous Shooting on a top notch DSLR requires faster speeds than 1080p video. I use my Extreme III card on my Nikon D90. But my Class 6 Eye-Fi card works too.. But I have tried the fastest shooting speeds.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was also trying to make the point that those that are trying to order the "older" style Extreme III 30mb/second cards, are getting shipped the newer, UHS-I cards, which have a different model number than what they ordered.

Originally, the retailer said I can't return them-when I pointed out the two different SKU#'s-the one's I ordered, and the one's I received, they have allowed me to return them.

Now UHS-I may be great, if you have a camera that is capable of using it, and USB 3.0. But, there is nothing "Extreme" about these new Sandisk cards.

In fact, if you look at the pictures of the 16GB when they first came out with the "new" model, the label said 20mb/sec. Then, for some reason, they changed the label to read 30mb/sec*.......same part number, new label.

Don't pay for the "new" UHS-I memory cards, unless your device supports it, and you have a USB 3.0 memory card reader.

You are throwing money down the drain.

I realize it's already been pointed out that a Class 4 or Class 6 will work for almost every camera out there-including a hacked GH1(I used the Class 4 Kingston, with the 100mb/sec hack-no problems).

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
This is good info.

I was so hung up on 'needing' Class 10 I'm glad I happened to read this thread.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.