AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to set emeory settings on a Barco 800? I want to set one memory setting for 720p in 16:9 mode for DVDs and another for sports in 4:3 mode.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Assuming you're using RGBHV as input, hitting "5" and "95" will allow you to set up two memories for the same frequency.

So hit "5" and set it up for 720p 4x3, then hit "95" and do the exact same setup but just squeeze the image down to 16x9.

Note that most scalers these days do this for you... so few people still use this feature.

What are you sources, what scaler do you have, and what connection to the projector are you using?

Kal

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kal,

Thanks for your response. I am using a HTPC and the RGBHV input as you mention. I was planning on using Powerstrip as a scaler for 16:9 DVDs and unscaled for 4:3 material. I was hoping the memory settings would automatically size the projector for each. Is this possible or am I just missing soemthing about the way a projector works?

Dave

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Hi Dave,

Not sure how you're going to use PowerStrip to scale... all it does is allow you to use special timings for a given resolution.

Normally people with HTPC's let the HTPC do all the vertical scaling for them and only use one RGBHV memory in the projector. This is what I do. My DVD software player does the scaling for me (TheaterTek). My HTPC's set to [email protected] and never changes.

Kal

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ran into this with my BG800 setup. I have a 16:9 screen and was doing as Dave proposed. I finally stumbled upon a 16:9 setting for my video card and this made things much easier. The two memory setup was a pain because I had Vsize and Hsize down to 0 to fit my screen for 4:3 material, even then I couldn't get proper aspect ratio because I ran out of adjustment.

However, after I set up my 16:9 resolution(1280x720) I decided to update my video card driver. Why I don't know, but my 1280x720 resolution disappeared and Powerstrip would not allow me to set it because the card (8500DV) would no longer accept it. So I had to wipe my drivers and go back to the original.

I am very happy with the 16:9 desktop. It automatically sizes the screen even when playing the 4:3 intro to a DVD automatic pillarboxing, then goes to normal 16:9 or 2.35:1 for the movie. I also use the TV tuner in the card and it's much easier than two memory settings.

Greg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kal/Greg,

Thanks for your responses. Sorry for taking so long to reply but there is only one internet computer in our house.

In response to Kal's reply, I think I need Powerstrip to scale the picture to 1280 x 720. Otherwise the computer will scale it to 1080 x 768 which will be approximately 576p when playing DVDs because of the unused lines when playing 16:9 material on a 4:3 picture. My video card does not have a 16:9 resolution. If I can program two memory settings - one each for 16:9 and 4:3 then I can used the most lines possible for each.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.